The Switch Chapter 1- Diagnosis

The Switch

Chapter 1

You laid in your bed, having your mother hold your hand as two doctors, one elven and one human invasively looked you over laying there in only a nightgown and poked and prodded you. One was from the Orient, the other from the Middle East. You had fallen ill about a month ago and at first your family's preferred doctor had dismissed your sickness as "an upset stomach" and suggested a change in diet to correct it. But as more time went on, the more serious it got and the more agonizing pain you experienced. It was obvious that it was serious and not something to be dismissed. Now your parents were reaching out for a second and third opinion but doing so far and wide and most importantly- quietly.

The reasons for their cautiousness- besides their natural love for you, is because you had been betrothed since you were a toddler to a young Count by the name of Count Roncharles Lavine. Who was from a very wealthy, powerful, influential and very prestigious family. And the match had been made when the Young Count was born since he was two and a half years your junior. It was expected that you would grow to be a sophisticated, intelligent and competent yet submissive wife and Countess. And birth many heirs for the young Count and the wedding was yet a year away and your wedding dress was still being heavily embroidered and embellished with the best silks, threads and laces money could buy because all of noble society and even royalty was supposed to come and attend the event. And with such a prestigious match, your parents had made sure to do all they could to ensure the match would be a success. And this illness was a dangerous complication.

One of the doctors began to press on your abdomen and you lurched in bed and cried out and both doctors froze.

"How long have you had this?" One of them asked as both of them took turns continuing to press and feel around on your side as you were in tears from the agonizing pain as even your mother was about ready to demand for them to stop but they obviously just found the cause for your illness.

"I don't know, I have had discomfort when wearing my corset recently so I've had my maids tie it loosely. But only for the last month or so, but when you press that, it's like you're stabbing me there and on the other side." You whimpered before they were both pressing on it, trying to feel for something as you wanted to hit and kick them both. But managed to not do so, with coaching from your mother. But you couldn't help but writhe in bed from the pain and cry out and wail in pain before both doctors gave each other a worried but meaningful look before they looked to you and your mother apologetically as they both came to the same conclusion.

"She has side sickness and I can feel a growth." Dr. Morad, the human diagnosed.

"The growth must be cancer." Dr. Tian, the elf diagnosed.

"Yes, I'm so sorry but it is cancer, and the worst case of side sickness I've ever seen. Between your symptoms and your coloring, and judging by the way your urine has changed color. It is most definitely cancer." Dr. Morad explained as he gestured to the vials of urine where they collected it earlier and divided it into five different bottles and added various components to see if the urine would react and reveal the cause of the illness.

"No. No you can't be serious, there's no way that's right." Your mother shook her head no as tears welled in her eyes as her breath hitched in her chest, causing the words to come out in almost a stutter.

"I would stake my career on it. She doesn't have long left, you need to start to prepare yourselves since this will be terminal." Dr. Morad insisted as Dr. Tian nodded.