chapter twenty-five ; "promise."

Start from the beginning

"Childhood must have been awful for you," the captive furthered, trying to press on the taller woman's vulnerabilities. "Were you a foot taller than all the boys? They laughed at you, called you names?"Jaime suggested, dawdling up the bank. "Some boys like a challenge. One or two must have tried to get inside Big Brienne?" 

Glaring, Jenny hit him lightly with the blunt end of the spear, on the head. Jaime rubbed the back of his head. Brienne smirked, clambering up the bank, "One or two tried."

Smirking, Jaime retorted sharply, "Ah. But you fought them off," he proposed, ignoring the glares from Jenny's eyes that seemed to be trying to burn holes into the back of his head. "But maybe you wished one of them could overpower you, fling you down, tear off your clothes," the dishonoured knight theorised. "But none of them were strong enough. I'm strong enough, but I'd rather lay with Lady Jenny than you." 

Yet you didn't. "Enough of this talk," Jenny muttered, stalking forwards up the bank, brushing past Jaime's shoulder. He revelled to her touch, feeling his shoulder tingle. Jaime briefly saw the look on her face, hurt, perhaps, even humiliation.

"What about you Brienne?" inquired Jaime, turning his attention away from the other woman, "Would you take on the challenge of the Kingslayer?"

Unamused, Brienne replied dryly, "Not interested." Jenny snorted. 

"Of course you are," chortled Jaime, straining to swipe his dirty hair out of his eyes."You'd love to know what it feels like to be a woman," his words drawled slowly. 

The maiden turned her eyes to him, "Is it that outrageous that a woman does not want to lay with you?" she snapped back.

Emerald locked onto sapphire, for the millionth time in both of their lives. The boyish smirk was still found swirling within his, just like the day they had met. Everything had changed since the day that they had met, Jenny for the first time in her life, felt like she had found some sort of purpose besides duty. And just like that her purpose crashed and burned. The sapphire gaze moved to Brienne, who was standing behind both of them, who had a look of horror on her face - staring outwards. 

With a swift heel, Jenny turned back to the direction they were heading. Up in an old and giant oak tree, three women dangled hung on a branch. Their clothes had been ripped, they had been hoisted up there after death, after the horrors they faced. Hoods covered their heads, blood running down from all of their legs. She grimaced as she saw the sign hanging around the central woman's neck, THAEY LAY WITH LYEONS, it read, spelt incorrectly in horrid scrawl. 

Her mouth gaped slightly, her skin crawled at the sight. Jaime looked at her expression with a frown, his hand instinctively reached for hers, this time; his fingers brushed against hers. He pulled away quickly, he searched her face for a reaction, there was none, Jenny had not felt it.

"The glorious work of the northern freedom fighters," Jaime mused aloud after he had read the sign to the two women. "It must make you proud to serve the Starks."

"I do not serve the Starks," Jenny reminded, her voice fragile, almost sickly. "I serve myself and my family." 

Brienne nodded in agreement, "I serve Lady Catelyn, not her son." She shoved forwards Jaime, she cast a knowing look to Jenny; they knew what each other desired to do. 

Making quick work, Brienne chained him against a tree. Jenny moved to the rope that was suspending them into the air, with the sharp end of the spear, she cut it in one swipe. With a loud thud, the lifeless women fell to the ground, crashing into the dirt, the sound of their bones rattling in the air. She shivered. 

"What are you doing?" Jaime asked, dumbfounded by the duo's soundless actions.

The two women replied together, "Burying them."