Second Degree

"What's gonna kill you is the second part"

SECOND DEGREE

The London airport was busy and crowded. Masses of people walked by Louis in flashes of color. His suitcase rolled behind him, but one the wheels was askew, making it squeak audibly. The sound was driving him near insanity. Airports always caused him stress, and today was no different.

"Everything's fine," Harry interjected, practically reading his thoughts. He could see the veins bulging in his temples— a clear sign of Louis's anxiety.

Louis didn't reply, too deep in his own thoughts. He needed this trip to go perfectly. He felt like his relationship was Harry was only hanging on by a thread, and the smallest fight or disagreement might cut it loose, sending everything spiraling. He feared it wouldn't be long before he said or did something that would send Harry over the edge.

"What's our gate again?" Louis asked.

Harry glanced at the ticket in his phone. "A-12."

They walked a little further before finding their gate. They still had half an hour until boarding, so they decided to sit in the chairs for a moment. They were black and uncomfortable, and Louis was pretty sure there was a mysterious sticky substance on his seat, but he didn't care. Right now, he had other pressing matters to worry about.

"Hey," Harry said softly, squeezing Louis's thigh. "Are you okay?"

Louis paused. He glanced out the window and watched a plane land smoothly across the tarmac. He could faintly hear the loud, whirling engines through the glass. It was a cold, cloudy day, and the distant trees were starting to show signs of the impending autumn season. Hues of orange and yellow tinted the leaves.

"I'm just..." Louis said, voice fading into silence.

"Yes?" Harry pressed.

"I'm worried about us," Louis confessed. "You're the love of my life, H, and I keep screwing up. I'm scared to death of losing you."

Harry shook his head, sighing. "I'm not going anywhere, Lou. And stop blaming yourself. I know I haven't exactly been easy to live with, either. We've both made mistakes."

Louis nodded slowly. It was true that Harry hurt him a number of times in the past. A couple months ago, he told Louis that the music he was producing was "boring pop music" and "forgettable." He wasn't sure why he said that because it wasn't true— perhaps he was jealous of Louis's success. Regardless, Louis spent that night crying in the bathroom.

"We'll be okay," Harry assured. He grabbed Louis's hand in his own, squeezing it. He rubbed his thumb over the "28" tattoo on Louis's fingers. It was one of his favorites. "I love you."

Louis smiled. "I love you, too."

Eventually, they were able to board the plane and find their seats. Louis had splurged and gotten them tickets in business class. The seats were larger and comfier with more leg room, which was honestly a necessity for his lanky boyfriend.

"This is going to be a fun trip, yeah?" Harry asked, securing his seatbelt. He had the window seat because he asked for it, and he always got what he wanted. He'd never admit it, but Louis spoiled him.