Day 1: Be Useful!

Start from the beginning

~~~~~~~~~~

The little ones were finally beginning to wind down. I'm glad. I could not stand to run around for another round of duck duck goose. I totally forgot I wasn't fit.

"Rose?"

I mumble a little humm in response.

"Nap time is in a few minutes and you'll be meeting Moon"

"Oh! Your dual AI partner right?"

He seemed surprised for a moment and continued explaining how nap time usually works.

"I think I can handle that, thank you Sun"

I spreaded out most of the mats and soon a low robotic voice began counting down.

5...4...3...2....1.

The lights began to dim, then fully turned off after a few minutes. Glow in the dark stars I had never noticed before, began to glow and little night lights were suddenly activated. It looked like we were in space.

There was a small sound of shifting metal and soon a dark figure seemed to loom in the dark.

Careful to keep my voice down I managed to get his attention, "hello my name is Rose I am the new hire"

He hardly regarded me with a glance of his light blue eyelights then continued to check over the kids and make a head count I assumed.

"I am Moon. Please leave the surveillance of the children to me. If I should call you, be ready at a moment's notice, but otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you didn't walk around too much", his voice was soft and smooth, but I could tell he didn't really want me around.

"you're the boss, Mr. Moon. I'll be sure to stay out of your way"

As silently as possible I made my way to the corner of the play area, nearby a little starry lantern. Maybe next time I should bring a book, or would turning the page disturb their sleep?

Mr. Moon was very diligent when looking after the kids I found out. The second one of the restless sleepers made themselves known, he was quick to scoop them up and hush them quietly. It was so fascinating watching him work to be honest. The atmosphere was so different from when I played with the children with Sun.

Maybe there could be something I could do for the kids with Mr. Moon then? I shouldn't jump into anything without him approving, but there are a lot of kids here who don't seem to want to go to sleep.

While Mr. Moon was singing a lullaby to a young boy I was beginning to doze off a bit too.

That is until a tiny hand gripped my arm, it was Abby?

"Miss Rose? Usually my big sister holds me until I fall asleep. Can you tuck me in"

"uh, I-, don't you think Mr. Moon would be better at this than me?"

"Moon is really nice, but I want you to do it...please"

Awwwwwww, I just can't. I'm sorry Mr. Moon. Don't off me in front of the kids, but just let me have this please.

I picked up the tiny child and cradled her in my arms until we reached the mat area. I gotta put in an order for cots one of these days, those do not look comfy, no wonder so many kids can't sleep.

I held her until she yawned and snuggled into me. How tiny must this child be in order to fit in my arms perfectly?

While having my maternal instinct moment, I feel a gaze brush over me. Looking up, my suspicions are confirmed when Mr. Moon stood only a meter away from me.

"Abby should be on her mat" he spoke so quietly I couldn't hear him at first.

"She said her big sister holds her until she sleeps" I say in the quietest voice I could muster, Abby nor any of the children around us seemed to stir, so I guess I could pass with a soft enough voice.

"So she sought you out?" he spoke, confused.

"she said I looked like her big sister"

"then continue" he said as he silently leapt away. I mean it wasn't like I was going to drop her the second she fell asleep???? What did he expect??????

Not long after, the same low robotic voice returned and counted down.

Mr. Moon looked back as me as he started to rouse the little sleepers, "It was nice to meet you little star"

5...4....3...2....1.

WHAT WAS THAT-

Ohhhhhh, that's right, I'm wearing a little glow in the dark stars. I totally forgot the reason I was almost late! The shirt I've been wearing is almost like a pj, it's got stars and roses and little clouds printed everywhere. I wanted to match the theme, but I totally forgot the stars glow in the dark!

And then lights dimmed on, after a few minutes turned on fully. That's a nice feature, let's your eyes adjust before plunging you into pure darkness, or too bright light.