awake (stop pt.2). peter parker

Start from the beginning

your ears were ringing, you could only just hear tony speaking to you. "peter is hurt, bad. alright?" his voice was echoing, you could just about make out what he was saying. "he needs to rest too, kid."

i love you... i don't want to hurt you

you inhaled sharply, peter's voice still ringing in your ears. realisation struck, you slapped your hand over your mouth, gasping as your face scrunched up in fear of what you'd done. tony turned away for a second as he watched the memories sink back into your brain. the realisation was crippling you.

nat grabbed your shoulders and pulled you into her chest. you sobbed, letting her hold you as tight as she could without hurting you. she buried her face into your hair, trying to hide the painful tears brimming her eyes as she watched you breakdown.

"no— no— no," you repeated.

you heard tony mutter a quiet i knew she wasn't ready, nat sending him a nasty look, a stray tear falling from her eye. she felt responsible for you. she had been your mentor, trained you from day one. she should've been there sooner to stop any of this ever happening. it was breaking her heart to watch you so distraught.

you mumbled repeatedly to yourself, letting natasha take your weight and hold you up. "it was me— it's my fault— it's my fault—" you repeated the words again and again.

"it wasn't your fault, kid," tony said hesitantly. he shook his head. "they fucked with your head. could've happened to any one of us. this is not on you, alright?"

you couldn't control your emotions no matter how hard they were trying to reassure you. peter was hurt because of you. he cried for you to stop, refusing to fight back and letting you beat him to a pulp. you kept seeing his bloodied face in your mind, the sight made you physically feel sick.

you shook your head. "i did that to him—" you hiccuped, tears still slipping from your eyes. your breathing uneven. "he— he didn't want to hurt me. and i did— i did that to him."

natasha hushed you. her arm cradling your head, providing you with some level of comfort, though it was small.

"get some rest," steve wore a concerned frown, his lips pulled tight. he knew they'd done this deliberately, they had hit them were it hurt by going for the two youngest members. he gulped. "you need to process what's happened. then we'll talk about seeing him."

he left the room, unable to watch you crash and burn for any longer. "cap's right," tony admitted. "you need to process. take your time," he followed steve, leaving you alone with nat.

"don't—" you mumbled almost incoherently, clutching to nat's arm tightly. she shook her head.

"i'm not going anywhere, alright, come on," she gave you one last squeeze, pulling away and ushering you to lie back, which you did. your face was red and puffy, tears staining your cheeks. suddenly you felt exhausted, your breathing unsteady as your tired eyes watched nat. she pulled up a chair, her hand never leaving yours which you clung to. "get some sleep. you can see him soon, alright? i'll talk to tony."

you nodded, your eyes drifting closed uncontrollably, the tire your body was experiencing finally taking over.

——