both of them waited for the other to speak up first, but neither did.

"what are you doing here?" despite the harsh intention behind her words, y/n's voice was as soft as ever.

"i needed to see you." this was the most disheveled that y/n's ever seen him. his voice sounded tired but his eyes were filled with their usual light whenever he saw her.

"and you've seen me." y/n grabbed onto the door and was about to close it when akaashi shoved his foot up against the door, holding it open. "you know, in books they usually put their foot between the doorway and the door. you're doing it wrong."

"i seem to be making a lot of mistakes today." he sighed and pushed the door open a little more.

"what are you doing here, akaashi?" y/n crossed her arms to keep them from reaching out to him.

"i wanted to make sure you got back here safely." he answered and kept his eyes on her while her eyes fell to his shoes that didn't even enter the apartment. the edge of his shoes was lined up with the entrance to the apartment almost perfectly.

"i did." her gaze stayed on the floor. one look into his eyes and she would be back into his arms.

"good, really good." y/n held back an unamused laugh at how much their situation was far from good. so far from good.

maybe laughing was something good to do right now because she was so close to crying.

"but i did come here for you- more than to check on you. of course i wanted to check on you but i did come here for you. you know, to talk. talk more than we already did which wasn't much talking but i don't want us to end up upset and then i move away and we're just both upset and left with no end- i don't want us to end." akaashi rambled, a trait he seemed to pick up after spending so much time with the girl who was silent in front of him.

"so what you're saying is you came here to talk because you didn't want us to be upset in case we do end things." she said as a statement.

"i don't want there to be an "in case we break up" i want us to continue, continue forever. and i know when i told you i had to move for my job it seemed like we had to break things off, but we don't have to." he shook his head and reached for her hand.

she let him. the warmth of his hand covering hers spread through her entire body, getting rid of the cold feeling inside of her.

but it didn't help the stiffness in her shoulders or the way her jaw was clenched without her knowing. her eyebrows were slightly furrowed and her whole body was tensed.

"you wanna start getting your art out for people to see, don't you?" he asked and y/n wondered where he could be going with this starter question. "y/n?"

"yeah, i do."

"move with me." oh.

"what."

"move with me. there's no way you can't find yourself a steady job or people looking for art." he stood up straighter and his face seemed to light up. "and it's not so bad, is it?"

"akaashi.."

"we can bring rin with us and find somewhere that allows pets. i can write, you can paint. we can live together and grow our careers together."