Chapter 4

Jolting upwards, I stared at the white-washed walls in front of me. I don't remember getting to bed last night... Oh. It was all a dream. But still, it was nice seeing dad again. I just hope he is still out there, alive.

Sighing, I swung myself out of the bed. Strolling to the canteen, I grabbed myself an energy bar and realised that there was food missing.

Suspicion crowded my thoughts. Who took it? Where are they? Why did they have to take the twinkies?

Pulling out a knife from my boot, I cautiously walked around, ready to stab. Edging into the sport hall, I heard hushed movement. A group of people were conversing, backs facing me.

I couldn't make out the faces of the speakers. A target board was in front of them. I smirked, knowing how to scare them and show them who's boss.

Silently, I climbed up one of the ladders on the walls, edged my way across the steel supports and readied a knife to be thrown. With accuracy my hopefully not deceased father would be proud and jealous of, my knife hit the bullseye with a loud thump. Everyone turned in shock to the target. I dropped from my position like a panther, without a sound.

"What makes yo-" I was cut off when they turned around.

It was the same group as yesterday.

Dad is alive.

"I-I thought it was a dream... I-I..." I muttered. "Dad, your alive!" I rugby (or American football to you Americans) tackled him in a huge hug.

Two women cooed at me. What!?! I'm not cute! I'm fierce, scary and intimidating! I glared at them over my dad's shoulder. That just made them giggle more. Sighing in defeat, I pulled away.

" I thought yesterday was a dream" I exclaimed

"Psh, how could you think it was a dream? You found your supposedly dead father! You don't just think it was a dream!" A voice said.

My smile dropped

"Excuse me?" I said, my back to him.

"You heard me."

Ever so slowly, I turned around so that I was facing him. All eyes were on me.

I swiftly walked towards him and stopped abruptly before him. He had the my knife from the target in his hand. I reached for it. He pulled it further away.
I kneed him where it hurts most and rammed him against the wall by his neck. He reached up with the knife in his hand, but I was one step ahead of him. I pushed his hand against the wall and waited. Waited for his hand to begin to turn purple from blood loss and for him to drop the knife.

"I gave you shelter. I gave you food. I gave you protection. I saved your life. And yet, you are still disrespectful. Why is that?" I growled.

"You didn't answer my questions." He managed to choke out.

"Fine. I have killed one person."

Dad gasped

"Why?"

I looked away. "He asked me to. He couldn't become one of those things."

Dad walked up and comforted me. "Who was it?" The whispered.

"Caleb" I said, with my head in his chest.

I felt a calloused hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry I pushed you. Can we maybe start again?" Said the not-so-horrible man