A Rose With Thorns

A/N:  

In this story, Mark had a previous relationship before Vee.

***

Flashback to a year ago . . .

Mark has a fascination with sunshowers. A sudden light downpour of rain in the middle of the day when the sun is at its highest peak is an oddly satisfying mix of a contradiction. Like a Romeo and Juliet kind of thing, Mark rejoices in the togetherness of things, people, and occurrences that were considered not fit to be together. He sees the fun in the natural phenomenon seemingly rebel enough to defy conventions. Like a dog getting along with a cat, the calm in the middle of a storm, or that magnificent sky with both the setting sun and the rising moon. 

Mark knows he is weird but maybe his heart is even weirder? It's beating twice as fast at the moment.

"I know it's fun but you will catch a cold basking in the sun under a sunshower." The pretty stranger said as she shields Mark from the rain using her umbrella.

"T-hanks," Mark mumbled.

"It's beautiful, isn't it? The sunshower." She replied and turned to smile sweetly at him.

"Right. It's beautiful." He said while looking at her.

When a confused frown graces her features, Mark looked away. It was enough to wake him from his momentary trance. Trying to look at anything other than her smile, Mark's gaze fell on her back.

"You're g-getting wet," Mark said tripping at his words. 

"Hm?" The girl looked at him confused.

"I mean your bag is getting wet."

"Oh, yeah. The rain is getting a bit stronger. I think we should take cover." The stranger suggested and pointed to a nearby café.

A few minutes turned to hours. Hours turned to days. And days turned to weeks.

It was probably too early to say anything, too hasty to claim a special connection or perhaps too assuming to put a label to it but Mark didn't mind. He feels what he feels. And he'd like to be honest with it.

"You always make me feel a certain way." Mark started as he pulls a box from his pocket. "I thought the sunshower that day was already beautiful but a few seconds later,  I've met someone far more breathtaking." Mark paused while trying to gather his courage.

She smiled at him encouraging him to continue.

"Allow me to say two things I've kept to myself all these weeks," Mark said as he tries to calm his fast-beating heart.

She understood and only nodded. Patiently waiting for him.

"I was enchanted to meet you," Mark confessed with all seriousness. 

"That was the first. And the second is, as hard as the rain was falling that day, I fell harder in love with you."

A blush rose to her cheeks. 

Mark then pull out the gear bracelet from the box and gently put it around her wrist.

"This is my heart. Please take care of it."

If Mark were all romantic words and heartfelt confessions, she was the embodiment of the saying, "Action speaks louder than words." 

She didn't use words. She rarely did. Instead, she tiptoed and kissed Mark on his lips.

The rest is history.  A sweet beginning of their love story. Until . . . 

***

Back to the present . . .

Life isn't all rainbows and butterflies. Mark learned this the hard way. 

"They don't like me." She started. 

They've been having the same argument since a few months back after Mark introduced her to his parents. He underestimated things. He wasn't expecting his mom to dislike her. She was a nice girl. What more can his mom ask for?

Well, mothers for starters were prone to ask for more. Especially for their sons. In Mark's case, it was even harder. He was an only child and their family too as a whole had all sorts of other requirements. He thought his mom never cared. Or at least will let him choose a partner on his own. He was wrong. His mother said she wanted the best for him. And clearly, his mom's definition of 'best' is according to 'that' standard.

"My father is on our side. My mother, well, she is a bit harder to please but I know she'll soon change her mind. Let's give her some time." Mark explained trying to calm her down.

"No. Your father is indifferent. Yes, he didn't dislike me but that doesn't mean he accepts us. And your mother simply hated me. She made it clear every time we meet with them."

Mark felt the beginning of a headache. 

Everything she said was true but somehow, Mark wanted to just brush it all aside. He doesn't want to care. He loves her. Isn't that enough?

"It's tiring." She said feeling all the energy drained from her.

Mark approached to hug her but she wouldn't let him. And for the first time that day, she said and did something she never said nor done before.

"You are a precious son. A prince. A delicate rose with thorns. And I sincerely loved you. I still do. I wanted to wear your love for as long as I can. But these days, what we have only felt like a massive pile of thorns." Then she removes it from her wrist.

"I can't hurt myself forever like this. And this," She hands him the gear bracelet. "I'm giving it back." A tear fell from her eye.

"I tried. I really did. But I can't anymore. I'm sorry. I kept trying hoping I'll be the ONE. I wasn't. Your mom was right. It wasn't me. I'm not the best out there for you. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

Mark didn't know where to begin. How do you stop something from ending? How do you convince someone who is already tired to continue fighting?

"B-but," Mark tried to reason out with her. "You love me, I love you. We can make it."

She was only crying hard at that time and Mark too started wailing. 

Sometimes, there are things in life you can only watch but can't stop ending. Their love is one of those. 

The credits rolled out and the curtain fell.

It was a love story that didn't end well.

And the metaphorical thorns won't stop piercing Mark's heart. Bleeding him out. The tears too kept falling and the walk back to his place was one big blur and a loud thud at something hard. The last thing Mark remembered was the sun rays hitting his face as a drizzle of rain wets his hair. Everything started and ended with a sunshower. Some people call it a ghost rain but Mark only felt the chill inside his heart.

***

A/N:

My friend and I share a fascination with sunshowers.