Chapter 8.

Chapter 8.

March 1933
Lüneburg, Germany.

Erik hurriedly knocked on the door of the Kohen home. When no one answered after five seconds of waiting he knocked again and again until finally the door opened and Sara Kohen, Ruth's older sister, appeared.

"Erik, how can I help you?" She asked in a pleasant voice.

"Is Herr Kohen at home? He wasn't at his shop?"

"Father is at home, yes." Sara looked at him with a puzzled expression but he hardly noticed .

"I need to speak with him. It's urgent. Please, let me in."

He could how perplexed she was at his rather desperate behavior, but Erik didn't have time to care. He followed her into the house and to the little room that served as Herr Kohen's study.

"Father, it's Erik Schultz asking to see you."

Herr Kohen motioned for Erik to enter. There was a curious look in his eyes mixed with a certain amount of apprehension. Erik knew why. All of Lüneburg was gossiping on how Erik and Ruth were sweethearts, but Erik wasn't exactly the sort of boy Herr Kohen, who was very traditional, had in mind for his daughter."

"Have a seat, Erik. How can I help you?"

"Herr Kohen, the Enabling Act has been signed. You need to get out of Germany as soon as you can!"

These words had the poor man blinking at Erik in bewilderment. "I'm afraid I don't follow you, my boy."

Erik took a deep breath. "I went to visit my father in Berlin and he explained to me how this Enabling act, that has just been signed, is giving Chancellor Hitler broad power to act outside parliamentary control. My father is part of Hitler's Nazi Party. He told me that they will start great changes in the country, one if which is to get rid of the undesirables. Herr Kohen, you are a Jew, Jews are undesirables as far as the Nazi Party and Hitler are concerned. They'll seize your assets, ban you from public places, and likely even arrest you. You must get out of Germany while you can still settle your business affairs relatively easily with little personal or professional loss. Please, trust me, get out now while you still can."

***

Ruth was livid. Anger flashed in her dark brown eyes. Her whole face had turned pink as the blood rushed to it. Her hands were clenched in tight fists.

"You went and told him to LEAVE the country? Are you insane? Are you in your right mind? Father is rushing to settle his business, he wants Mother, Sara and me to leave tomorrow while he'll join us once things have been sorted out. I'm leaving tomorrow. TOMORROW!"

"That's a good thing," Erik replied. "I'm glad he took what I said seriously. "From his reaction I had been afraid he didn't realize the gravity of the situation."

Ruth looked into his eyes with disbelief. "You want me to leave? You actually want me to go away?" She gave him a hard punch. "And here I thought you loved me."

"I do love you."

"Then why are you making sure I leave to another country. I'll be miles and miles away from you."

Erik reached out and took ahold of her shoulders. "Ruth, I want you to be safe. The reason I convinced your father to leave is because I'm concerned about you. Can't you understand that? This change of power shouldn't be taken lightly. If you would have heard the things my father was saying you would be in a hurry to leave today."

"It can't be that bad."

"Oh it can be, it can be that bad. It can, be even worse!" He gripped her hands. "You're going to Holland, it borders Germany. I can still come and see you. It's only several hours by train."

"But you can't come and see me every day."

He laughed. "Of course not, silly. But I'll come over and see you on weekends from time to time."

Ruth shook herself free from his grasp and sat down on the wet ground, tears forming in her eyes. How could he be so calm? The very idea of separation was tearing her heart to shreds. "But it's not going to be like before. Before I could see you every day, now I'll have nothing to look forward to."

"I'll write you," Erik promised, sitting down beside her and taking her hands. "And I'll send you my paintings. This isn't going to be forever, Ruth. Things will change, you'll see. Don't cry, it won't help you know," he wiped the tears that were rolling down her cheeks.

Ruth tried to collect her emotions. Yesterday she had the future all planned out for her and Erik. This drastic move had never been part of those plans. But Erik was right, crying wasn't going to help at all.

"You won't forget me when I'm gone?"

He laughed at such a silly question. "Of course not. I promise, Ruth, I promise that there won't be anyone but you. Cheer up. You'll be safe and we'll write each other and I'll visit from time to time. It won't be the same of course, but it's better than nothing."

Ruth nodded and pulled Erik into a tight embrace. "As long as you don't forget me, I'll be fine," she reassured.

"I won't. I promise."