Chapter 3.

Chapter 3.

Her day had begun at 4:00 with the loud gong that announced it was time to rise and wash.

Ruth leapt from the bunk she shared with her sister and two other women. Every bone in her body screamed at her to sleep just a little longer, but she forced her brain to ignore the pain and exhaustion.

For one she did not want to get hit by the clubs of the Rapportführerin as they came about beating the inmates to hurry and get up. Second, if she had any sort of hope for any sort of decent wash she had to be the first one up. There was only one latrine for several thousand woman. Eight hundred were cramped in this one barracks alone.

It was bad enough that the bathing water was dirty and smelly but to stand in line in the mud and human excrement just to relieve oneself made the morning toiletry process unbearable. Still, it had to be done so she might as well be the first to do it.

"Sara," Ruth reached over and pulled hard on the arm of her older sister. "Hurry and get up or we'll have to wait in line. Let's go quickly."

Sara groaned and tried to resist but Ruth pulled and pulled until at last Sara gave in and also rose.

After their 'breakfast' of herbal tea it was time for roll call. Ruth's whole body filled with dread as she followed the other women out of their barracks and into the cold November morning to stand in rows of ten by the wall. How long would they be made to wait this time? Who would get punished today? She wouldn't think of it. No, she would not. If she was to keep her sanity she must not let her mind dwell on the tortures they faced on a daily basis.

Ruth shut her eyes and forced her mind to drift away. Away from Auschwitz, away from the war, away from the nightmare. She thought of mountains. Yes, the mountains. The beautiful Alps. The air was fresh there. The water was clean and sweet. The wind blew through the trees and caused the leaves to create a gentle rustling sound. The birds sang sweetly and butterflies flew among the flowers. The sun shone brightly and the sky was the bluest blue. Up, high in these mountains was a brick house with a red roof. And a garden and a barn. And children. Of course there were children. Six of them. Four boys and two girls. They were her children. Hers and Erik's. They laughed and played and created mischief as children always do. But of course they also helped with the housework and the chores.

And then there was Erik. Of course there was Erik. Tall, handsome, steady Erik with his canvas and watercolors. No matter how or where she thought of him he always had his paints with him. Today in her imagination he was painting the mountain scenery as the children played around him. This was her happy world, her perfect family, her unfulfilled wish.

A sharp push pulled Ruth out of her daydream.

"Let's go!" Sara whispered fiercely. "Or we'll get beaten for holding everyone up."

Ruth found her legs were so stiff they could hardly move. They must have stood at roll call for at least two hours, maybe more. She rubbed her hands together trying to bring some warmth back to them.

Hurriedly the inmates formed columns of five abreast and began the march towards their labor for the day. Music played from the camp orchestra as they neared the gate and Ruth strained her ears to pick up the tunes. It was a pity she never learned to play any musical instruments. If she had perhaps she would have been chosen to be a part of the orchestra. Playing in there was surely better than the hard labor at the construction site at Auschwitz III.

This thought gave her an idea. If she were to play an instrument, which should it be? Deciding on the best one would surely make the trip from the barracks to the work site seem shorter.
She went back and forth in her head and was about to decide between the flute and the cello when a person up ahead caught her attention. He was dressed in the SS uniform and from the looks of him he was a Lagerführer. He was walking with that good for nothing Lagerführer Bauer but had slowed down his pace at the sight of the approaching inmates.

As she got closer and his face became clearer Ruth drew her breath. She knew that face. She could recognize it anywhere. But was it really possible? She had been daydreaming about him for so long perhaps now her imagination had transported him as a camp guard.

The column kept walking and Ruth was moving past him so she turned her head to get a better look. Her large brown eyes locked with his light blue ones. There was no doubt about it now.

"Erik!" She mouthed his name. The shock of it caused her to lose her footing but she caught herself in time and no one noticed the slip up.

They had all walked past him now and she turned her head to catch another glance. He was still walking in the opposite direction but had turned back as well. There was a look of disbelief and absolute horror on his pale face. His eyes were opened wide, even his jaw had dropped.

"He's here!" Ruth's heart beat wildly against her chest. She hardly knew what to do with herself from the excitement of it all. There was still a grueling eleven hour work day ahead of her, but the only thought that could occupy her mind was,

"He's here. He found me!"