7.

W

"Okay, so basically," I started off a little too enthusiastically. I was practically bobbing up and down in my seat because I was restless. I mentally told myself to calm down, and continued. "Ahem. I mean, here's the idea I have.

We could appeal to those people who have adopted their pets from animal shelters or foster homes to post funny pictures of their pets on their social media accounts, and to share their favorite memory of their pet in the caption!"

Bright nodded his head in response and rubbed his chin with his fingers. "Sounds interesting. How does that help to raise awareness for the charity?"

"Well, we will tell those people to include the hashtag 'adopt don't shop' in their caption, and tag the charity in their post as well. The charity told us that they have some prizes to give away for this campaign, so perhaps we could select those posts with the most likes to win the prizes."

"That's a good plan." He said approvingly. "I was thinking that they could also share the story of how they met their pet and came to adopt them? I think it'll help with your cause."

"That makes sense. I'll note that down!" I said, and quickly wrote down Bright's suggestion on my iPad.

He was smiling proudly at me, which made me feel proud of myself too. Even though it wasn't a concrete idea yet, it was a really good start.

"Also," he spoke suddenly. "I don't know if this is possible, but maybe the charity could give a small discount to everyone who participated in the campaign. It may help to attract more people to join in."

This man was a gem.

"Have I already told you that you're a genius? I don't know what I'd do without you." I happily sipped on my strawberry smoothie, and finished the last bite of my sandwich.

"I didn't do anything, but you're welcome." He said with a bright smile. It was already night time, but his smile lit up the whole room like sun rays.

"It's the second time you've done me a big favour. That picture of your cat gave me a lightbulb moment, and that idea came to me."

"Really? I'm glad I bought her that hat then." He laughed heartily.

"Gosh, I literally love you." I blurted that out before I could stop myself. Dew and I always joked around saying 'I love you' to each other because we were really close, so it just slipped out casually. Me and my clumsy brain!

"Wait, don't take this the wrong way, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it that-"

"It's okay, it's okay." He giggled. "Don't worry."

"Phew. I'm so sorry, I thought you'd be weirded out or something. Sometimes I tend to say things like this and can't stop myself."

"It's okay, it happens to everyone. Besides," he says, "it's been long since someone's said that to me, it's nice hearing it from you."

My face instantly felt hot, and my heart just started racing. Why did he have to add those last two words?

"Ah~ you're blushing!" He teased, poking my arm and laughing. "You get shy so easily."

"Who says I'm shy?" I said defensively, which only made him tease me even more. We sat there bickering back and forth, laughing uncontrollably.

"Oh my, it got so late already. I should be heading off now, I'm sorry for holding you up." I said as I packed my things into my bag, and took my cup and plate. "And let me wash these for you."

"No, you don't have to. Let me do it." He said as he was reaching for it.

"No. I insist." I stuck my tongue out at him and marched to the sink behind the counter, and quickly washed everything and put them back on the drying rack. Bright had already removed his apron and got his things, and was leaning against the counter waiting for me.

"I'm heading to the bus stop right around the corner. How about you?"

"Me too. Let's go there together then."

He furrowed his brows and seemed a little confused, but shrugged it off afterwards. We walked side by side together in silence, the cold night breeze wafting around our faces.

This was the first time we had hung out outside of working hours.

We soon reached the bus stop, and we both instinctively stood away from the small crowd that had gathered there. It seemed that he wasn't fond of squeezing with people, too.

The bus I take goes to the bus stop that is directly opposite from this one. But I decided that since I wasn't in a rush, I could stay with him a little longer, until his bus arrives.

"I just checked, my bus is coming soon. Which bus do you take?" He asked.

"Oh, mine always comes the last, so it'd take a little while longer than yours." I lied. I knew that if I had told him I was supposed to be at the bus stop across the street, he would insist for me to go, which I didn't want.

He just nodded. We stood beside each other in silence, but it wasn't an uncomfortable one. As we waited, I looked over at the bus stop where I should have been waiting, and recalled how I was standing over there last week looking over here at Bright.

I had thought of waving at him then, but I was scared that he wouldn't be able to recognise me. That was the first time we'd ever met, after all.

"My bus is here, I'll get going." He says as a bus slowly pulls up, and people start forming a line to board it.

"Okay, have a safe trip home. See you tomorrow morning." I said, giving him a last wave.

"You should get going to your bus stop, I think you'll be able to get there in time to catch your bus if you run."

I stood there speechless. He knew all this time, and did not say a word?

"Run along now. I'll see you bright and early tomorrow."

Right before he steps into the bus, he turns around again and gives me a smile.

"Thank you for waiting with me."