In Which Sophie Might Actually Have a Soulmate

Start from the beginning

The werechipmunk den was organized by rank. Jaxon, as the Alpha of the pack, slept by (or with? Cora and Sophie were still debating) the Beta of the pack, who guarded him at all times. Cora, Sophie, and Irienna, as low-ranking advisors/potentially dinner if they got annoying, got to sleep right at the entrance of the den. That way, Jaxon had informed them cheerily, their screams of pain and agony could alert the rest of the pack if they were attacked.

"Why are you wearing a dress?" Sophie asked, trying not to look straight at Cora. At least it was dark enough that she doubted Cora could see her blush. "Where did you even get a dress?"

"Irienna leant it to me. Apparently, she takes something expensive with her everywhere, just in case she stumbles into her mate."

Sophie gasped. She pressed a hand against her chest. "You used the word mate!"

"Oh, shut up."

"You're basically a Wattpad addict already."

"Wh—No! That's not the same thing at all." Cora nudged her with her shoulder. "Although... I have been thinking about this Wattpad thing..."

"You're kidding. You want a Wattpad account. You're ready for your life to change." Sophie grinned. "This is fantastic."

"I'm not totally sure! But, since these werewolves and werechipmunks seem to occasionally follow Wattpad rules, it might be... useful. Like research." Cora grimaced. "I'm not actually doing it for fun."

Sophie nodded. She patted Cora on the back. Once upon a time, she'd been in Cora's place. She'd downloaded the app as a joke and then, two hours in, realized that she'd stumbled into her latest addiction. "That's what you say now."

"Oh, shut up. It's really not a big deal."

"It's totally a big deal. Now tell me about the dress."

"It's for the peace meeting. So, while you were on your walk, which went on way too long, I was getting worried you got eaten by something—Anyways. While you were on your walk, Nicole's head arrived via weremail. It came with a note that said that Zach-Xavier-Xane knew about the death button and that he's hoping to come to an arrangement. They're meeting in the math classroom tonight. Jaxon wants me to come and Irienna seemed to think I should wear something nice."

"It is nice."

"Sorry?"

"I mean—You look nice." Sophie nodded. "Very nice. Pretty."

Cora blushed. "Right. Well. Don't I always?"

Yes! Always! Silver howled happily. They'd spent the four hour walk back debating the possibility of a relationship with Cora. According to Silver, Cora was now officially her soulmate.

"Uh huh," Sophie said, nodding. She wasn't totally sure she could talk. Her mouth seemed to have stopped functioning. She winced. This was not good. Where were the lines about comets? Why weren't the words coming to her?

Cora stood, brushing the dirt from her dress. "I should probably get going. We don't want to be late to this peace treaty."

Sophie jumped up.

Cora shook her head. "No. You're not coming."

"Why not? This is important! Of course I'm coming."

Cora stared down at the ground. Her hands were clasped, her fingers tapping against the back of her palms. "Sophie... I really don't know what I'd do without you. And I'm just—You don't need to be there. You need to be safe."

"I'm safe with you." Okay, that wasn't strictly true. But she hadn't died yet, and it wasn't like she'd be much safer in a cave with a horde of hungry werechipmunks. "Besides, I'm the one who got turned into a werewolf. It'll be fun."

"Sophie..." Cora said. "It's going to be the exact opposite of fun."

Sophie grinned. "We're going to explode Zach-Xavier-Xane. What's not fun about that?"

 What's not fun about that?"

Guys... We're getting there! I'm thinking two more chapters. We'll see; I might fiddle with it, but I'm pretty sure how I know how it's going to end. It's simultaneously very scary and very exciting!

Word Count: 17556... ish

Question of the chapter! Are you better at flirting than Sophie? 

Thank you for reading!!

-Harley