012

Anne moved towards the bottle with a weary smile on her face, but before she could spin Billy spoke up.

"I'm out." He said. "No way. Ugly orphan."

Almost everyone started laughing at Billy's comment, thinking it was the funniest thing in the world. Diana had an angry look on her face, and Astoria looked like she was about to murder Billy in cold blood.

"What are you afraid of, Anne?" Josie questioned, in a teasing voice. "I seem to recall you knowing a lot about intimate relations."

"That's enough, Josie." Astoria told her in a warning voice.

"You're from unfortunate circumstances." Josie ignored Astoria.

Anne's hand began to shake above the bottle, and her face looked scared.

"This can't be your first kiss." She taunted. "Anne? Ever been kissed... Anne?"

"Josie, I said that's enough! Drop it." Astoria said.

"I'm just asking a question." She played dumb.

"He- no!" Anne cut herself off, standing up.

Anne grabbed her things and began to leave, making Moody move out of the way for her to get past.

"Anne!" Diana and Astoria called after her.

Josie and Billy chuckled. Diana stood up and followed after Anne while Astoria stayed behind and reprimanded Josie and Billy.

"You guys are horrible! How would you feel if someone refused to kiss you because of your looks?" Astoria exclaimed.

"Well, it wouldn't happen." Josie stated matter of factly.

"Yeah? And why is that?" She crossed her arms, standing up and walking over to her things.

"Because I'm pretty." Josie said with confidence.

"You might be pretty on the outside, Josie Pye, but you're cruel and ugly on the inside. And nobody can ever love somebody like that." Astoria told her, walking out of the school and towards her house.

_____________

"Sorry I'm late. This girl in my class insisted we play some stupid game and my friends dragged me along, I couldn't say no." Astoria told Tom.

"It's alright. It's your life, I don't mind you spending it how you want." He chuckled.

Astoria smiled at the boy. She placed all of her school things away, and went to get supper prepared when Tom came up beside her.

"I can help with supper today, if you'd like. I want to be more help than I already am, and I've been told I'm a mighty fine cook." He told her.

Pondering for a moment, Astoria looked back at him. "If you'd like to, I don't mind."

And so, the two made supper in silence. They spoke in friendly banter a few times, but stayed mostly quiet. After it was prepared, they sat down at the table and ate.

"Thank you for the help, even though you didn't have to." Astoria playfully glared.

"How could I not? You've given me money, a place to stay, and food in belly. It's the least I could do." Tom responded, smiling.

"But your doing work fo-"

"Just... Let me feel like a helper... Please?" He asked.

Sighing, Astoria nodded. "You are the best helper I could ask for."

"Thank you." Tom replied. "See that wasn't so hard."

"Don't push it." She jokingly warned.

Tom put his hands up in mock surrender, laughing afterwards.

-

A/N

<3