006

Astoria layed on her bed, awake, staring up at the ceiling. She had told Gilbert that she didn't feel up to cleaning today, but would get to it tomorrow. Now, she had started to get hungry so she brushed her hair before walking down the stairs.

"Gilbert, did you make any food? I'm star-" Astoria cut herself off once she saw there were three other people in her kitchen. "Oh, hello."

"Hi, Astoria." Anne greeted.

"Astoria! I didn't recognize you." Ruby said, smiling.

"Good day, Astoria. We brought over some Shepard's Pie for you and Gilbert." Diana told the girl.

"Um... Thanks. How kind." She tried to muster up as much happiness as she could, but didn't come up with much.

"Anne made the topping. She's a good cook." Diana continued, what Astoria assumed, their conversation.

"But I would make a terrible wife!" Anne yelled, before running out of the house.

"Well, um, thank you for stopping by." Gilbert said while standing up.

Ruby and Diana nod and walk out of the door. Astoria looks at Gilbert in confusion.

"Is Anne alright?" She asked.

"I'm not sure." Gilbert replied.

"I will just... Have some of that Shepard's Pie, I'm starving." She told her brother, grabbing a plate out. "Would you like some?"

"Uh, sure." He said.

_____________

"I'm going out to the shop. Do you need anything?" Gilbert asked Astoria.

"Maybe some vanilla- oh, and more flour; we're almost out." Astoria said, not looking up from cleaning.

"Will do." He responded and walked out of the house without another word.

When he left, it didn't take long for Astoria to start crying. She caught herself before she fell over, sitting on a chair quickly.

_____________

The next morning came quick, too quick. Astoria awoke with the birds, and got down to business. She began making breakfast, cleaning on her way. Soon after, Gilbert came downstairs. He sat down and looked at his sister.

"I need to tell you something." Gilbert said to her.

"What is it?" Astoria asked, not looking at her brother.

"You need to sit down for this." He told her.

"Um, alright. Give me a second to finish this up, than." Astoria responded, finishing breakfast quickly, placing food infront of both of them. "What was it you wanted to tell me?"

_____________

"I'm sorry to tell you, Anne... Gilbert isn't here." Astoria sadly told the girl. "He won't be here for a while."

"What, why?" Anne asked.

"He's gone off. Working on the docks, 'trying to figure his life out' is how he put it." She replied. "Now, I have to continue cleaning. Good day."

Astoria shut the door and leaned up against it, sliding down and crying her heart out.

"I'm going to be gone for a while. I want to work on a ship, but I first need to work on the docks, try to figure my life out. But I want you to stay, to go to school. Have the life you couldn't while father was ill." Gilbert said to Astoria.

"But- I need you. You can't just leave me by myself! I'll come with you, I don't mind working on the docks or a ship." Astoria replied.

"No, this the time I put my foot down. You aren't going, you will get yourself an education that you've been deprived of." He told her.

"But I don't want an education, I want you." She cried.

"My word is final." Gilbert walked away.

-

A/N

<3