''We have to find a way out of here!'' Glass broke as one of the creatures landed on top of Newt, Piper and Thomas rushing back, ''Help me!'' Newt stared at the creature with his arms extended, holding the creature back as Thomas kicked it off of him while Piper pulled him to his feet. ''Newt, you good?'' Thomas asked as Newt nodded. ''yeah, thanks Tommy. You too Pipes.'' They continued to run with the rest of the group. ''Through here, let's go!''

''Guys where are we going?'' Newt asked as they ended in a corridor with a dead end. A door was to their left, locked as they pushed against it, trying to open it. ''It's a dead end!'' Thomas, herself and Newt started to kick it as Winston turned around, the gun that he pulled of the guard in his hands. ''I'll hold them back!'' He shot towards the creatures as they still couldn't budge the door. ''Get that door open!'' Frypan pushed them away as he pushed through it with his shoulder. ''It's open!'' They rushed through it as Winston tried to get in, but was pulled back by his legs, his arms holding onto Frypan and Newt as the flesh on his stomach was pulled away by the creatures. He yelled in pain as Piper, Thomas and Minho held the door closed while Newt and Frypan kept pulling on his arms, finally freeing the slicer. 

The three Runners shared a look, waiting for the others to get a head start before Thomas turned to Minho. ''Minho, you first, than Piper, than me. We'll catch up!'' Minho nodded as he sprinted away, five seconds later, Piper followed. The sound of their shoes hitting the floor reminded her of the Maze as Thomas caught up behind her, running next to the girl with a frightened look. She glanced at him, nodding towards the others to say they needed to keep going. 

They ended up outrunning the creatures, hiding from them before it finally became quiet again. The group panting and sighing in relief as Piper had her head firmly pressed against Minho's torso, her hand covering her other ear as her eyes were squinted shut. 

Sleep finally came over them, the group sleeping around each other on top of their bags and covering themselves with pieces of clothing. They were woken up by Thomas chasing a bird away from their food. The girl rubbing her eyes awake as she lifted her head of of Minho's torso and he removed his arm from her body, shaking it awake. ''They gone?'' Newt dared to ask as Thomas looked around.

''Yeah, I think we're safe for now.'' Piper grabbed her backpack as she pulled in on. ''Okay, we should get moving. Let's pack it up.'' Thomas looked at Aris, who was still laying down. ''Aris, come on. Fry, Winston. Let's go.'' 

Winston groaned in pain as he tried to get up, Piper and Frypan walking towards him. ''Hey, man. You okay?'' They extended their hands to him and helped him up before Piper walked up to the front with Minho, holding his hand as they walked out of the building and into the open. 

It was now for the first time Piper was able to see what had become of their world. Collapsed buildings were everywhere, some covered in sand. Glass, metal and other various things were spread across as Piper tried to avoid stepping on any of it. ''What the hell happened to this place?''

''I don't know.'' Newt answered, ''It doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time.''

''I hope the whole world's not like this.'' Aris spoke, seeming to read everyone's mind. "Let's hope not," Minho responded. "I'd be happy to see one tree right about now. Maybe a creek." 

''Hang on, stop.'' Piper turned to Thomas, immediately hearing why they stopped. ''Do you hear that?'' They all stopped, listening as a helicopter like thing came in view.  ''Get down! Everybody, hide! Hide!'' 

They ended up hiding under a beam that had fallen down, hiding the teens as it flew over them, Piper and Minho sharing a look as she signed. ''They're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?'' He shook his head as he pulled her into a side hug with his left arm, kissing the side of her head before crawling away from the beam. 

''Those mountains, that's gotta be it.'' Thomas spoke as he pointed at the mountains in the distance, the group standing on a big pile of sand as they watched it. ''That's where we're going.'' 

''That's a long way off

''That's a long way off.'' Newt spoke. "Could that be a hundred miles?" Thomas asked no one in particular. Minho shook his head. "No way, dude. I mean, we're supposed to go that way, but it's not even close to a hundred miles. Might be sixty or seventy."

''Didn't know you could measure distance so well with nothing but your bloody eyeballs," Newt said. Piper and Minho turning to him with raised eye-brows. "We're Runners, shuck-face. You get a feel for stuff like that in the Maze, even if its scale was a lot smaller."

''Then we better get moving.'' Thomas spoke, they took the first step as Winston suddenly fell forward, his weight too much for his body. ''Winston! Hey, Winston! Winston!'' They all crumbled around him, the boy gasping for air. ''He's hurt pretty bad.''

''What do we do?'' Teresa questioned, looking at the others. ''Winston. Can you hear me?'' Newt tried as Piper pulled a bottle of water from her bag, helping the boy drink it as she waved her hand over his hair. ''It's okay.''

They had made a stretcher from sticks, rope and blankets they found on their way, Minho, Piper and Frypan taking turns to drag the stretcher with the boy on it through the desert.  ''Hang in there, Winston.'' 

When they came to a steep downhill, Minho and Frypan took his arms as Thomas and Piper took his legs, Aris and Newt ready to support them. Wind had picked up heavily as they pulled the stretcher, the Gladers covering their faces with scarfs, shirts and their hoods as they walked on, trying to find shelter. 

So, I am going to incorporate more scene's from the books from now on to make it more interesting. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated. See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library