It's Over

You were alone. Completely. Your parents had driven off to the hospital, and arranged what they called a 'termination of pregnancy on psychological grounds', and you had say in the matter because you were underage. So they carried out the operation, cut you open and took your baby. It was only as big as a plum, they wouldn't have known if it was a boy or girl. But it hurt, it hurt worse than any pain you had ever felt. You thought being hit, and being condemned in the way you had been was bad, but this, was worse. Your parents would never call it what is was, an abortion, they would tell people it was a stomach bug because they would rather die than admit what you had done. To you, it was their own shame they could admit. They had left you all alone, and even now as you sat up in the bed with a tray of cold food during lunch you had no one to talk to or comfort you. You had been in the hospital overnight, and you supposed your parents were setting out to cover their tracks. The stomach bug cover was spread around, your siblings included, and the Le Bon's were dealt with. No way would Simon get away with it.

A nurse came marching through the ward, her polished heels echoing as she stomped her way down the middle of the room, inspecting all the patients and finally coming to you. "Miss (Y/L/N), not eating again today?" She asked patronisingly, sounding like she was sick of you and her job. You looked at her blankly, slightly disgusted with her. "You need to keep your strength up. You've had a complex surgery." The nurse grumbled, gesturing to the plate of cold food. She was talking to you like you were a child, and you hated it. You didn't say a word, and after a few minutes the nurse sighed heavily in annoyance, like she was trying to make you guilty, before taking the tray and muttering that she would be back later. Your head dropped so your chin was in your chest and you shut your eyes as a tear dropped down your cheek. When would it stop? You were grieving so deeply for a baby you were never supposed to have, and no one cared. And you supposed that you couldn't talk about it when you were out of hospital. There was no privacy in the hospital, you had to ask to go to the toilet like you were five, and there were 6 other women in the ward with varying medical issues.

You had caught the eye of Betty, an old lady who lay in the bed about a metre away from you, and all she had seen you do was cry. She didn't know the full details of why you were there, but you were crying so much it could've been dehydration. You weren't eating, and you were pale, and you barely said a word. She had smiled at you a few times, and you had tried to smile back but you were in no fit state to. "You alright, my dear?" Betty asked you softly, and you let out a small gasp as you wiped your eyes. "I suppose so...I'm sorry I haven't been very talkative." You smiled as best you could, and the round old lady chuckled heartily. "Oh sweetheart, no apologies please. You've been very pleasant." Betty assured, smiling warmly. You looked at her for another second before looking at your hands, and Betty sensed you needed a bit of human interaction. She hadn't seen anyone come to see you either, you seemed lonely. "So, little Miss (Y/L/N), what're you in for?" Betty asked, and your throat tightened as a lump formed. You hadn't told anyone what you were in for, and no one besides your family knew. And you said the only thing that you could manage to say.

"It's...I'm Mrs Le Bon, not Miss (Y/L/N). They've been saying it wrong ever since I came in." You sighed, your lips twitching into a little smirk. You missed Simon. "Le Bon? Ooh lala!" Betty giggled, finding the name quite posh. You had always thought it was a posh last name, and Simon had assured you he was of noble French blood, and one day he would buy you chateau in the south of France. You cracked a smile and laughed slightly, and Betty observed how you seemed to perk up at the mention of your married name. You were quite beautiful really, she realised, as you smiled. "And I presume there's a Mister Le Bon?" Betty enquired, and you bit your bottom lip. "Yeah, Simon." You sighed, and it made your heart swell and shatter at the same time. "Your only young though dear! Shouldn't be tied down so soon!" Betty said, and you shook your head as your bottom lip wobbled. "We've only been married a few days..." You whispered, and Betty saw that you were getting upset. "And, ermm, my parents, they, they...they admitted me." You added quietly. Betty was looking at you solemnly, but you wanted to tell someone what they had done to you. It was criminal.

But before you could tell the old lady, they burst it. It must've been visiting time, and they weren't alone. Your father, your mother, your grandmother and your dad's sister, Carol was there too. Other people filtered into the room, family and friends of other patients, and the nurses handed people chairs so they could sit beside the beds. You sat up, and Betty watched as your eyes avoided your parents. It was obvious you were going to say something about them, and Betty had presumed it was something bad. "How are you feeling (Y/N)?" Your father asked stiffly, and you filled with rage. How dare he? Awful, that's how you were. You just glanced at him and then at your mother, who wasn't looking at you. Your gran and your Auntie Carol were looking at you, they seemed more concerned than your parents. There was a small, painful silence, before your parents ran out of patience and began to talk business. "(Y/N), this whole situation could've been avoide-" "Where's Simon?" You interrupted, staring at your mother as she slammed her mouth shut. She couldn't believe your audacity, and you couldn't believe hers.

"That boy-" "Has a right to know what you've done." You snapped, not at all caring who heard or who got offended. "He has no rights at all when it comes to you." Your dad hissed, and you huffed. Your Auntie Carol was slightly taken aback, you were seriously angry and your dad felt no guilt, it was an incredibly hostile situation. "Malcolm, I think he does." Carol said carefully. Malcolm seemed to tense further, and you did too because you knew what Carol was implying. "Yes, as my husband." You added, squeeze your hands together tightly. Your mother rolled her eyes loathingly. You narrowed your eyes, but your gran was frowning too and you realised how you had messed up. Even your gran was upset. "That is nothing but a sham." She muttered. "It's as real as yours." You countered. "Where's the ring?" Your mother taunted cruelly, and you were flawed by her meanness. You folded your arms, and looked at the blue sheets that covered your legs. "I still want to see him." You muttered.