37.

Talking about having struggles wasn't something that came naturally to Nick. Five hours after he and Blake had parted ways and both of them went to their respective classes, he still wasn't sure whether he regretted talking about it or not. 

Blake didn't laugh at him, sure, but that didn't mean it didn't have a negative effect on how Blake saw him. Maybe Blake thought he was stupid now for not even being able to pass his courses, which were probably significantly less complex than Blake's own. 

On his way home from college, Nick felt himself getting stuck in a doom-thinking spiral again for no reason. And it really was for no reason. Blake wouldn't call it a study date if he didn't mean it. He wouldn't have referred to them meeting up as a date for the first time ever if he wasn't still interested in a having said date. 

A date. A studying date with Blake. Nick really tried to focus on the 'studying' part more, because if he started thinking about what this was and what this meant, his poor frazzled nerves would probably make him flee the country. 

Still, upon arriving home, Nick immediately showered twice. He and Blake ate separately today because Blake was out having dinner with people from Chemistry, which thankfully gave Nick the time to actually take showers and not have Blake notice he went twice. 

It was a strange situation; dating someone you also lived with. If anyone else had asked Nick for advice, he'd probably tell them not to hit on a roommate or to at least be very careful. But knowing it was not the best idea didn't stop Nick's heart from fluttering when he heard a key turn in the lock a while later. 

"Just a second! I'll be right there!" Blake yelled from the hallway, rather than entering the living room. 

"Uh, okay!" Nick yelled back. 

When Nick heard another door slam shut in the hall, he thought for a second that Blake was taking revenge by showing Nick how it came across when you only receive a 'hi' followed by radio silence. But then Nick heard the shower turn on, and a smile tugged at the corners of his lips. It was somehow encouraging to know even Blake was human and needed a shower before a date. Of course Nick knew Blake was human and got smelly after walking in the sun like everyone else, but it was nice to get a reminder every now and then. 

While Blake showered, Nick fetched all his study materials from his room and set up the table. He also filled a karaf with water, ice cubes, fresh mint, and lemon slices since it was warm outside. But when Blake entered the room a few moments later, it was immediately clear no amount of fresh water would've been enough to stop Nick's throat from going dry.

Blake's hair was a wet mop on his head. He wore a tank-top that clung to his slender body combined with cargo pants and that was somehow an extremely good look for him. All of it. The pants, the shirt, and even the wet hair. He looked hot, and the way he smiled at Nick indicated he definitely knew it. 

"Thanks for waiting," Blake said. "I felt gross after running around all day, sweating in the burning sun." 

"Yeah, that's okay," Nick muttered. He watched Blake walk towards him, trying his damn hardest to keep his gaze fixed on Blake's face, rather than giving into the urge to let his eyes wander up and down Blake's body. 

Blake pressed a brief kiss to Nick's lips, then sat down next to him. While Nick was still fighting his flustered mind and get a hold of himself, Blake reached for one of Nick's books and pulled it towards himself. Nick was hypnotised by the muscles of Blake's upper arms flexing as he lifted the heavy book, before he snapped himself out of it again. Blake didn't seem to notice Nick's reaction—he was too busy reading. 

"Like, on the way home I was thinking: I don't even really know what you do. Sure, it's international business, I know that. But what do you actually do?"