BUT OVERFLOWING PEACE

Start from the beginning

I roll my eyes as I look outside, and I hear her lie back down on the couch again.

"Tell me he at least appreciated the picture," she says after a moment.

"Oh, yeah he did...." I grin, remembering that night when he came home--It was so much fun.

As the sounds of TikTok videos fill the quiet space, I let my mind wander to how happy I have become. Maeve and I, I think we're actually friends. I mean, yeah I still have some jealousy, especially when I hear them at night...Or in the morning...Or sometimes in the middle of the day when they think I'm outside reading...But the friendship I'm building with her was something I never anticipated.

Finn only liked one of his other mom's, and I only cared for one of mine. I just assumed that having a sister-wife meant drama and hating one another.

I had no idea it could mean a friend. I had no idea how lonely I was for friendship, and the more time we spend together the less we have to try with one another.

It's been a really big deal for me.

When I see Finn pull up, I whip my head around quickly. "He's here!"

"Shit! I wanted to finish this video," she whines as she logs off of my Facebook and TikTok quickly and hands me back my phone.

"Thanks, I was having insane withdrawals."

"You're welcome," I grin as I put my phone back on the table and go into the kitchen to finish dinner.

When Finn walks in all dirty and grimy, he smiles at both of us but keeps his distance. "I fell in mud today, so I'm gonna take a shower really quick before I hug you two......Stay there," he chuckles as he rushes to my room.

Maeve sticks out her lower lip and I roll my eyes. "You really want to risk it with him being home now?"

"If I don't I won't be able to sleep tonight. I've just GOTTA see if that sheep got out of that crevice."

"You're seriously acting like a kid," I say as I point to my phone and she hurries and gets back on.

"That's it?!?! They don't even have the decency to let us know if they got it back out?!? That was rude," she grumbles as she logs off quickly and sets it back on the table.

Five minutes later, a clean Finn comes out and gives Maeve a hug first. "How was your day, kitten?"

"Better if I had my phone...." She mutters, giving him the best puppy dog eyes I've ever seen.

Finn rolls his eyes and holds out his hand. "Speaking of...."

"Ugh....This isn't fair, Finn!" She whines as she goes to her purse and gives him the phone. He looks through it, just as Maeve said he did yesterday. When he's satisfied with what he sees he nods and puts it in his pocket.

"What if an animal gets hurt, Finn....This stupid punishment isn't just hurting me, it could be hurting an innocent animal!"

"I know that...That's why I keep it on me at all times with the volume on. I will never interfere with your job. Now that's enough, or I will take it for another week."

Maeve sits on the counter with so much attitude, Finn starts to say something. Then he notices that he hasn't said hi to me at all, and ignores her. "How's my girl?!"

"Good."

"Rhys come into the Library today?"

I nod, and his eyes tighten.

I think Finn is right--I think he likes me and I don't know what to do about it.

***