It's Free Real Estate, Baby!

Start from the beginning

"Is this Zegion guy that powerful here?"

"Powerful is an understatement, my friend. You see, Zegion-sama is not only powerful, he also has massive influence over the Tempest Labyrinth. Not to mention, only so few people in the world can match his strength that they can only be counted with one hand as far as I know."

"Huh."

Well, with that kind of background, this Zegion guy doesn't seem all that grand to me.

Then again, there could be more to Zegion but I'll have a hard time knowing since I haven't met him in person yet.

"I see, what an interesting person this Zegion guy is."

"I agree, anyways, that's all I know. Can I go now?"

"Oh, sorry for taking your time and thank you for answering."

"My pleasure."

I left that guy and approached the trails, studying it with a gaze, I saw it was a long path paved with flat stones with no apparent obstacles in sight. The men and women who walked in this arduous path of unknown difficulty were shaking were they stood, the sweat soaking on their skin was enough to indicate how they were fairing by themselves. But what mostly caught my attention was the magic circle beneath their feet. It seems to curse them with untold agony the more they journey further into the trial's path. In fact, those guys there were actually screaming in pain but something was blocking the sounds of there suffering.

The Trial of Zegion's Temperance, huh? the name alone seemed to indicate what it really seeks from the participants. Maybe I should try it at least once.

Then again, how do you participate though?

Dammit, should've asked that question but I really didn't want to since if I did I would probably be branded as a masochist just from that conversation.

Wait no, why am I so worried about what people say? It's not like I have a face to save and my lady doesn't seem like she would mind what I would do so long as it's not a crime.

Settling my thoughts, I then approach another random stranger and asked how to take the trials. And it was rather simple. Just approach the board nearby the entrance and select the difficulty you wanted to set, a magic rand will mark your body and then you can take the trial. No requirements needed.

Alright, now knowing what to do, it's play time.

I approach the board nearby the entrance and took a look at my choices.

Select Difficulty:
-Spiderman
-Natsuki Sufferu
-Dante Must Die
-Call of Duty Veteran
-Dark Souls with only a broken sword

OK, who the hell made these? That guy must be laughing his ass off getting away with this. Like seriously, Dark souls with only a broken sword? What kind of sick sadist wants anyone to suffer like that?

Shaking my head, I easily determine which of this was the hardest difficulty and selected it. A magic circle lit up beneath my fit and branded my body with a curse mark. I found to my surprise how intricately complex this curse mark was but I easily deciphered its functions.

First of all, the magic circle is actually connected to a spell barrier that surrounds the trial grounds and inflicts a force of pressure that could damage my body in anyway until I am just once step away from death. If my death became so close, the barrier will teleport me away to a safe zone where I can recover. As to how much force will be inflicted on me, the magic circle will measure the amount of tolerance I have and the barrier will adjust its power to the point where my limits are tested and it will inflict more force the longer I stayed on one spot or how much distance I covered.