Chapter Five

They'd spent the rest of the afternoon in Elain's gardens, laughing and talking as the day slowly disappeared. Lotus wished it didn't end, he wanted endless days with Talia, the only person who understood him.

"Try not to miss me too much!" Talia called after him as she launched herself into the sky.

She accepted the ugly parts of him, the beastly ones. His claws and thorns. While she was all soft hands and roses.

Talia was by far too good for him. If he was anything like Rhysand, he'd let her go. Wish infinite happiness on her as she found it with someone else. But he was nothing like Rhysand.

Lotus was pure his Father. Almost hardly his Mother. He was selfish and greedy. Unkind and cruel. He never says much yet when he does, it's always to insult someone. His mind filled with thoughts and mirrors.

The Night court was known for its stars and moon. Shadows and nightmares. Lotus looked up at the black sky, which seemed to have sucked up most of the stars for their light hardly showed.

They looked pitiful down on Lotus as he creeped through the halls, his eyes on the City of Dreams. The walls were of black marble, showing his reflection in them.

They showed him his sun-kissed hair, pale skin, and bright eyes. It was like they were screaming at him that he was different. Nothing in Lotus carried Night. He didn't have his Mother's starlight, her god-like beauty that made it look like she should be married to the Man on the Moon.

Something then began to whisper in his head. Something was going to happen, something was wrong.

Lotus walked towards the doors that lead to the main room of the House of Wind. There he could sense tension around the usually calm room. Eyes quickly went to him but he paid them no mind, keeping his eyes on his mother and the letter in her tattooed hands.

"It's Tamlin," she said to him as he took the letter.

My Son,

In a few days, we will be celebrating Calanmai. As you know, the reasoning for this is to spread magic across our lands, allowing our crops to grow. Our people to thrive in the new year of Spring. As my first-born son, who will one day bear the crown, I wish for you to travel earlier from your regular visits for this celebration.

Our people will be thrilled to see you, their future High Lord dancing around the Fire Night with them.

I expect to see you then.

Yours, Father.

Once he finished, he looked up to see his Mother face looking at him, her mate by her side and Nyx in his arms. "What did he want?" she asked, as Lotus put the letter back in its envelope.

"My Father expects me to travel earlier to the Court of Spring," he explained. Sitting himself down in one couch chair, grabbing a glass of wine. Enjoying Morrigan's expression. "To celebrate Calanmai."

His Mother flinched, a look of disgust and anger on her face, at an instant snatching the letter from the table. Later passing it on to Rhysand as he handed Nyx to Elain.

His Mother looked frustrated, seeming to telepathically communicate with her Mate before turning to Lotus.

"I think Lotus and I need some privacy," she said to her family, watching as they started to leave.

"No need," he called, taking another sip of wine as they all looked at him confused.

"Lotus, I think we need to have a closed discussion," his Mother stated in a strongly tone. But when he stood towards her, she saw the cold in his eyes.