Herds (OG, Firewatch included)

So if you look through my recent messages, I did say I would start making a Firewatch x OC story, but I'm not really too keen on it right now. I usually like to avoid canon characters going OOC (out of character), aka sticking to lore and their personality. I'll say more after I finish this.

===

// 7:45 pm, In the middle of nowhere, Near the landship, Forest //

You've always been protecting us, haven't you?

Firewatch took out a scope from her rectangular bag and took out her crossbow which was wrapped around her body. She attached the two together with the wind blowing in our faces. Her right eye shut together as the wind suddenly blew intensely while her left was still open. She was just always like that. Careful, observant and on high alert, even when we're in certain safety. As usual, the sniper was wearing her iconic cream sweater with a khaki-green shirt tucked under. 

She hasn't changed her clothing in a while. Even after we joined Rhodes Island. The Doctor and I had spent an hour just convincing her to wear something else after we bought her a new outfit. If I have to admit though, she still seems cute no matter what. She has her emotional sides, not just always 'revenge', 'revenge' and 'revenge". Just that she never shows it to anyone outside of me, not even to Meteorite. 

I shrugged away all the current thoughts I had and focused on getting her pack of arrows. It wasn't as fancy as hers and didn't include a free radio. I also took out my binoculars from my waist while I was at it, placing them firmly onto the grass. The box that holds her arrows was also a rectangle. A rectangle that was way too long. Considering all the functions that Closure added to it, the length and grith were expected. I never knew that the process of taking out arrows could be automated.

She crawled down and laid silently in the bushes as I sat right next to her, now carrying a simple green binocular to help her spot and guide her shots. Firewatch fit perfectly in place. Even I couldn't see her and nearly kicked her sides while sitting down with my legs crossed. Think I would have gotten my face smacked with her crossbow and my antlers messed with. 

The Doctor told sent us both to do patrols as usual. Though it's just a routine job, the both of us couldn't patrol without napping once in a while. We had just switched places from sleeping in the middle of the forest to now going out to its borders to do our job. 

Firewatch let out a quiet yawn with her eyes struggling to stay open. She slightly shook her head in an attempt to wake herself up. We've been staying awake for the past week. The Doctor was concerned and asked us why, but we dodged the question. Though I think they know about why we're so sleep deprived. After all, I've seen them still read Rhodes Island's operator files at 4 in the morning.

We observed the view for quite a while. Nothing came up. Just a couple of deers.

"Do you need to rest for a moment?" I asked her. Needless to say, I'm also concerned about her. Even I was getting a tiny bit of shut-eye during our 'no sleep' week. Yet she... just couldn't. Every time I woke up in the middle of the night after she tapped me on my shoulders, she's still standing on guard for any enemies that dare approach us. 

"Look out for yourself first." She responded back with her eyes still glued to her scope. 

"I appreciate the concern. I'm doing fine now. The arrow wounds weren't that deep. Were you staying awake all night just to take care of me?" I threw out a joke to cheer up the mood. It was more of a slight tease than a joke. Both of us knew what this day was. 

She's still stuck in the past with her finger on the trigger. I've been following her since we met and I do feel for her. If I had to describe this in a way with Firewatch and Meteorite, the Elafia girl was stuck in the past, the Sarkaz moved on and I was awkwardly in the middle, wanting to both seek revenge on those who brought harm to our hometown yet was moving on with life in a way.

"Maybe." She responded bluntly. Her tone was still depressing and very Firewatch-y. Yet I could feel her face glow in slight red, just like the flowers that we both took care of back at home. 

Her radio let out disturbing static noises and it triggered both of our battle senses. 

"Firewatch? Arborist? Are you guys there?" It was the Doctor calling us. 

I took hold of the transmitter while scouting out for any movement. "Very much. So far we haven't seen any enemy presences yet. Though there was str-"

"We're giving you a week's break to do what you need to do."

Both of us froze in place. Perhaps I was correct. They really did know why we couldn't sleep, even on Rhodes Island's comfy beds. Firewatch didn't even move anymore. She laid down like a log, her shoulders as stiff as rocks. I noticed her behaviour and wanted to shift the topic to somewhere else. Before I could, the Doctor spoke out again.

"You can come back whenever."

We stayed silent. I struggled to choose a word to respond to the Doctor. I eyed Firewatch, who felt my gaze at her. She nodded her head with her eyes greying out.

"Give us a moment."

Firewatch got back up as I did the same. She detached the scope and placed her crossbow around her waist. I finished up with my own packing, carrying the arrow holder onto my back. I struggled to get up but with a little help from Firewatch, it wasn't that much of a problem.

We turned around looking at the thick tree branches which parted midway. It looked a lot like our, or perhaps I should say, her grandfather's antlers. 

We knew who the deers were now.

Firewatch was visibly shaken at this. Her legs trembled with her hands shaking. I placed a hand on her shoulders as she looked at me. Her lime green eyes reflected the forest around us and her face twitched, she tried to resist the urge to cry out. 

I opened my arms and closed our distance. Wrapping my arm around her waist her body was pushed up against mine. Firewatch hugged me tightly in return. She dug her head into my grassy fabric coat. Her anger slowly died out, being replaced with uncontrollable cries. 

"It's alright..." I let my watery eyes rest on her shoulders too, giving up on suppressing my emotions. "They'll always be with us..."

===

Coming from a romance perspective, it's hard to see Firewatch developing feelings for someone else. Perhaps I could say write it as a precious friend. But after her hometown was burnt down the only feeling she has is 'revenge'. Of course, there's a way I can make this happen. 

tbh, this is more of my first time writing a 'emotional' scene. Gimme feedback.