I Smell Your Fear

Start from the beginning

He's dead.

He's dead.

I kept repeating to myself because that was the only way I wouldn't go insane.

I dropped my bag onto the living room floor before shrugging my coat off and beginning to walk up the stairs.

I knocked on Draco's study door and just as expected, he answered straight away. I pushed it open and walked in, seeing him sat at his desk with his glasses hanging just on the perch of his nose and his eyes dipped down in paperwork.

"Whatcha up to?" I asked, walking towards his desk.

"Just catching on some stuff" he answered shortly, scribbling down in the page. I nodded and pulled his chair back slightly so I could fin it to sit on his lap.

Draco wrapped his free arm around my waist and continued his work "How was your day?" He asked.

"Busy" I sighed "My mother came for a visit"

"She did?" He said subconsciously, still laying mind tot he paper.

"Yeah" I chuckled "Turns out she had some pretty interesting information about Mikeal John"

At the man's name, Dracos head slowly turnt up and for the first time since I walked in here, he looked at me.

"What did she say?" He asked, putting down his quill.

"You're never going to believe this" I whispered "I used to take bloody baths with him"

"Baths?!—"

"No, no" I laughed "As a kid. My father and his were best friends and it so happens that his son and I were friends as well"

"And your mother only saw fit to bring this up now?" He rose a brow, seemingly annoyed just like I had been when I heard this.

"She said she was sacred and I don't blame her" I said, wrapping my arm around Draco's shoulders.

"You don't seem bothered" Draco noted "This doesn't bother you?"

"It did at first but he's dead now" I said and looked away for a quick second, waiting for Draco to say something but he kept quiet. I frowned and looked back at him to see a puzzled look on his face "I mean... he is actually dead, right?"

"Anna..."

"Stop" I immediately stood from his lap "Tell me he's gone, Draco. Tell me that I don't have to worry about him anymore, that I can sleep at night knowing my kids aren't in danger"

"They hadn't recovered his body—"

"Oh fuck me" I groaned "This is just one thing after the other. I can't fucking do this anymore, Draco. I-I can't. It's too much—it's all too much"

"Hey" Draco whispered and stood up to wrap me in a hug "He's not going anywhere near you, darling"

I nestled my neck into his neck and tried to stop myself crying as he comforted me.

"For all we know, he's probably dead and someone removed his body before anyone could report it. I promise you that I'm not going to leave your side until we know for sure" he ran his hands up and down my back and kissed the top of my head.

"I just need a break" I whispered.

"I know and I'm sorry" Draco sighed "Why don't we go downstairs and I'll make you dinner, yeah?"

"That would be nice" I smiled and pulled my head back from his neck.

"Aw your mascara is all smudged" he laughed and swiped his thumbs across my cheek "Come on"

I nodded and we both left his office.

As we hit the bottom step, a knock came to the door and giving the recent information, it made my stomach flip.

Draco noticed and waved it off.

"I'll get it" he said before taking that firmly step and walking towards the door. I stayed where I was and watched as he opened the door to reveal.

Scorpius.

"Hey" he sighed, looking at Draco then behind him to me "Anna" he nodded his head. I gave a small silent wave as Draco stepped back and let him come in.

The atmosphere of the room suddenly became awkward. I didn't walk up to greet him but instead, stayed put and stared at him.

He looked more well put together then the last time we'd seen him. His hair was down neat and cut shorter, he was dressed in long black pants, a white long sleeved shirt with a yellow and black checkered coat around him.

"I just—" he cleared his throat "I just came from my therapy session and she thought it would be a good idea to swing in and check up on how you're all doing"

I looked at Draco who seemed just as confused as I did.

"Um... well, we're fine" I answered "The kids went back to school and I just got home from work"

"Oh" he smiled "How was work?" He asked and turned around to face me. I felt myself caught of guard by his question. It's been so long since I had a normal, civilised conversation with Scorpius and it just felt weird.

"Good" I answered slowly "It-It was normal" I left out the part about Mikeal. I wasn't in a position to let Scorpius back into my life like that yet.

"Ok" he sighed "That isn't the reason I came by"

Hello! Back to regular updating :)

I missed y'all 🥹

Word count 1557.