Chapter Twenty-One: July 13th, 1968

Lorelei's point of view:

On this day, I had to see Trúc and his work. He informed me we wouldn't be able to do so until nightfall came, and I didn't ask why. Having to act like some ignorant woman was exhausting at times but easier knowing I knew why we had to do it when it was dark. At least I had the day off until eight tonight. I could spend the day with my mother in the hotel room.

"What are we doing today?" I asked as I came out of the bathroom that morning, fully dressed. She was putting some lotion on her hands after a bath. Now I knew the reason she had softer skin than me.

"Well, there isn't much we can do. Your father should be on his way over here soon. I suppose we should just wait," she replied. On that note, I was excited to see my dad again after so long with not getting to talk to him. There were phone calls, yes, but nothing amounted to actually speaking to his face.

"Great, my favourite thing to do. I hope he doesn't take too long," I replied.

"Oh, I'm sure when he does it'll all be worthwhile," she replied. There was a glint in her eye when she said that. It made me wonder what was on her mind.

"Is there something that I don't know?" I asked. She chuckled and shook her head.

"No, darling. Don't worry about it. I'm going downstairs to get some food. Do you want some?" She asked. I nodded and thanked her as I watched her leave the room. Now I was alone and left to wonder what she was thinking about at the time of the father topic. There had to be something, she only gave that look when there was.

My mother came back with some food from the downstairs continental meals they gave us. I didn't know why they called it that, it wasn't continental at all. I would rather call it a generic, hotel and business breakfast. All they served were bagels and fruit, along with pretty good coffee. That much I could give them.

"Oh! Look! You're father is here! Come to the window," my mother said to me as she looked through the window. I still wasn't quite done eating when she said this. I left my food on the table and went to the window. When I looked into the screen I saw my father and Jacob making their way out of the car. It wasn't just him though, Mihn was there as well.

"Mihn?! You didn't tell me he was coming! I'm not ready! I looked like a sack," I exclaimed, rushing to the bathroom to ready myself. My mother scoffed and giggled at my behaviour.

"Lorelei, that is the first time I have heard something like that leave your mouth. What's he doing to you?" She asked, her laughing fading but not ceasing to existing. I shook my head but didn't answer as I went to check myself in the mirror.

"We're here!" My father called to us as he entered the hotel room. I skipped out of the bathroom and ran to hug my father. He laughed when he felt me hit him and hugged me back. "Nice to know you're still excited to see me. Makes me think of when you were five and all you wanted to do was see me." Yes, five was quite the age for my relationship with my dad. Every time I came home from school, he would leave work to play catch and listen to old baseball games on the radio.

"Lorelei," I heard the voice of someone. I left the embrace of my dad and looked behind him. Mihn was standing there, in the doorway, looking happy as he saw me there.

"Mihn," I replied.

"Do you want to go for a walk with me? I have to talk to you," he said. My eyes flitted to my parents and brother, and all of them motioned for me to go with him. I nodded at Mihn and walked with Mihn out of the hotel room. Mihn shut the door and as I thought he was going to go in for a kiss, he took my hand instead. "Let's walk," he said.

"What do you want to talk about? Is it serious?" I asked. He nodded and we stopped in the hall.

"Yes, but it isn't bad, I promise. I can tell you here. I know it's the hallway and it isn't so dramatic, but I have to do this," he said. Now I was confused and a little intimidated. Something had happened to him while he was away in Saigon. I wondered if my father had told him something to drive him away from me. No, that couldn't be it because Mihn said it was good news.