Chapter 8: The DNA in the Details

Booth and Brennan were standing on the platform next to the body. Morgan and Reid had taken Randall Cooper to the station to be processed before questioning. Zack and Hodgins were still taking scrapings while JJ and the rest of the BAU tried to find the connection between Randall Cooper and the other victims.

"The DNA left on this body could be a challenge," Hodgins said.

"A challenge?" Booth said. "Like he's playing us?"

"It's classic game theory," Reid said. He and Morgan had just walked through the door. Morgan headed to Angela's office while Reid came over to examine the body.

"What?" Booth asked again.

"A conflict of interest arises followed by a series of moves from which divergent strategies can be discerned," Zack said.

"What did he say?" Booth asked the room at large.

"That Randall Cooper, if he's the UNSUB, could be playing us," Reid said.

"Yes, that's exactly what I said," Booth replied.

"Zero sum," Reid said. "After a few moves, we'll know more of Randall's order of preference."

"What did he say?" Booth asked the room again.

"We'll find out what Randall wants," Brennan explained.

"Isn't that the BAU's job?" Hodgins asked. "To get inside the serial killers head and explain why they are so screwy?"

"Dr. Brennan?" Prentice said. The dark haired agent was standing at the bottom of the steps.

"Agent Prentice," Brennan replied. She left Booth and Hodgins arguing.

"Hotch said that you were going to go with Booth to interrogate Randall Cooper," Prentice said. "Have you interrogated suspects before?"

"Did Agent Hotchner express doubt about my abilities or do you have doubts?" Brennan asked.

"Both," Prentice replied.

"I have helped Booth interrogate suspects before," Brennan said.

"Ready to go?" Booth asked. He had left Hodgins glowering at the deceased Owen Rains. He looked between the two women. "Everything alright here?"

"Everything's fine," Prentice said. "Hotch requested that Morgan and Reid go with you."

"Okay," Booth said with a shrug. "Let's go."

~

"Why are they interrogating him?" Morgan asked. He and Reid were looking into the interrogation room at Randall Cooper, who was about to be questioned by Booth and Brennan.

"Hotch said Agent Booth is running point on this case so he gets to question him first," Reid replied.

"Okay, I'll take that," Morgan replied. "But why is the scientist lady going in with him?"

"Dr. Brennan and him seem to have a system worked out," Reid said. Morgan crossed his arms and watched the interrogation.

~

"Randall Cooper," Booth said. He dropped the man's file onto the table as Brennan sat down. "You have quit the record."

"I used to have anger issues," Randall replied. His hands were handcuffed to the underside of the table.