Chapter 40: Confrontation, Part 1

Kakashi landed at the edge of the cliff with a light "thud". He glanced around, taking the familiar scenery which he didn't ever want to remember again into his view.

It had been years since he last visited the site of the Battle of the Kannabi Bridge. That bridge was no more, but the memories had been engraved so deeply into his brain he hadn't dared come back to this place since that destined day.

But now he had a reason to come back. He needed to do it, for the sake of a friend he had to save from the darkness.

"So you suspect Rin Nohara might not be dead yet."

Hiruzen Sarutobi looked at Kakashi after hearing Gai's report from his mission to Kirigakure. Of course, he had gotten that information for the sake of Kakashi himself, so it was natural for the boisterous taijutsu master to tell Kakashi about that right after he returned to Konoha, even before reporting to the Hokage.

"According to what the Mizukage has given us, that assumption might not be very farfetched, Hokage-sama," Kakashi nodded.

Hiruzen scratched his cheek. "What I still cannot understand is why she didn't return to the village if that were the case. It has been quite some time since the revolution of Kirigakure ended; she had more than enough time to return to the village, then go away and then return to the village again. We cannot rule out the possibility of her already being dead."

Kakashi nodded. "Indeed. That is why I'm requesting a week of absence."

The Hokage blinked. "You're planning to go track her down?"

"Yeah," the cyclops nodded again. "And I have a feeling that I already knew where to find her."

And now he was standing here, at the place where everything in his life had changed. He wasn't sure why, but something in his mind told him that not only would he find clues about where Rin actually was here, but the answer for everything was also lying here, waiting for him to expose.

"Now, let's find out."

With those words, he walked down the hill, towards the place of destiny.

For a few seconds, no one dared move a muscle.

It's not like they hadn't expected a confrontation with Orochimaru. In fact, when the Mizukage revealed the news that Orochimaru had appeared near Kirigakure, Naruto had already known that they would have to encounter him somewhere during the mission.

It's just that no one could imagine Orochimaru arriving at Isobu's lair way ahead of them, and even defeating the Tailed Beast, alone, seemingly without even breaking a sweat.

Not to mention that it was freaking creepy to see five people that looked exactly the same staring at them with the same crazy slasher smile on their face. Well, Naruto actually didn't have any right to say that, but...

For the sake of not wasting parts of the story to think about the names for each body of Orochimaru, the author is just going to call them the Orochimaru Corps for now.

"What do you think about him, guys?"

'Hmm...' he heard Kokuoh saying. "I'm not sure; his chakra is indeed terrifying for a human. And to be able to defeat Isobu alone without breaking a sweat like that... maybe he is as powerful as you think. Maybe you should be careful."

"I know. Even looking at him alone, I can feel the enormous anount of chakra coming from each of his body."

"What is your intention, Orochimaru?" Before Naruto could raise his voice, Mei had already spoken up first. "Why are you after the Three-Tails now?"