Chapter 1

An unknown sickness spreads on Alpha Centauri, every colonist should quarantine themselves if possible.

That was the first announcement made, a lot more followed:

Colonist should wear masks at all times when leaving their home.

More then five people in the same household are not allowed.

Do not leave your home if not absolutely necessary.

Colonists with symptoms like fever, constant tiredness and nausea or who have a rash on their neck and chest are obliged to inform a doctor immediately and must go into quarantine.

These announcements had been made in the first week of the spread, as everyone had come to call it.

The virus had only been named after nearly two weeks:

The new virus (voac-1) spreads trough body contact. Because of this, masks aren't necessary anymore but every citizen should prevent body contact.

Since the last announcement everyone started wearing gloves and would be covered in a layer of plastic above their clothes, so that no skin was exposed to the air.
Scientists had developed a test to determine if someone was infected with voac-1 but there was still no vaccine in sight.

Penny and her family stayed at home most of the time, only leaving sometimes when they needed to get some groceries.

She herself hadn't left the house since June and today was the last day of August. She and Vijay video called each other, but it was never the same: for one, they weren't able to touch each other and Penny really carved human touch these days. Reason two was that they were engaged and planned to move in together in a couple of weeks. But planning a move via video call was not easy.

Originally, they would have moved in together months ago but they had waited in the hopes of new rules which would end the quarantine obligation, so that they could finally get married. But three months later and still no wedding in sight they decided to just move in together and get married afterwards (which Penny had suggested at the beginning but nobody (aka their parents) had wanted to listen to her).

Right now, the two were making the last settlements for the move.

"The furniture and the kitchen are set, we'll just have to fill up the cupboards and our closet" Vijay was telling her while he was checking through his list."And decorate, of course."

His finger came to a stop on something that was written down there, "Have you packed some towels?"

Penny raised her brows in confusion, "Towels?"

Vijay looked back up to her and hold up yet another list. "I went trough all our purchases and I realised that we didn't get any towels. We're also missing toilet paper."

"I'll order the towels and you go get the toilet paper when you go grocery shopping tomorrow, okay? I'm not on duty this week."
Since the spread of the virus and the quarantine rules, everyone in the same household had to switch every week with going grocery shopping or leaving the house at all so that less people would be outside. And if someone was tested positive and had been on 'duty' that week, the A.C.G. (Alpha Centauri Government) could contact everyone else who was on duty that week easily to inform them.

Vijay nodded at her and smiled, "Will do, please just make sure that the towels are soft."

"How do you expect me to decide which towels are soft when I'm buying them on the internet?"
Her right brow raised again.

Vijay opened his mouth to say something, then closed it again.
"Good point. Read the reviews?" He said after.

"Okay", his fiancée rolled her eyes again at his childish but nevertheless adorable, requests, " I'll see you tomorrow at our home, then."