14 | King Shadow x Reader - Promises [part one]

Start from the beginning

"(Y/n) I told you to be careful, did I not? I'm not even sure how you ended up getting this scar but you're lucky it's nothing too serious."

You rolled your eyes, earning a huff from Shadow. You knew he always had your health in mind and didn't want you to ever get any serious injuries while on a mission, of course there were few times where you had been sent alone for a G.U.N. related issue which you normally could come back fine and unscathed. But this time you had gotten a bit distracted, which gave your opponent an opening to slash your arm, luckily not cutting too deep.

"Shadow please, its not even that bad see, I can still move my arms and I'm not about to drop dead!!" You waved your arm like a wooden doll in the air back and forth.

"Listen I'm not *always* reckless like this on my own, I just happened to have a minor slip up during a fight and got a small cut, but see I'm fine! You don't have to worry so much Shads." Your tone was humorous but still lighthearted, you knew how much Shadow cared about you and his other colleagues and close friends like Rouge, and wouldn't want to see you drop dead one day because of a small mistake.

Shadow continued to heal your arm, wrapping the wound in bandages tight enough. He was oddly quiet, more than usual with you mainly focusing on the cut which was surprising knowing he'd make a fuss if you came back from a mission with an injury like this.

He finished the final loops around your arm and held your hand firmly. "(Y/n), in all seriousness I want you to take care of yourself, I know you can but I.. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you. Not again."

Shadow went silent after he spoke and his eyes fell back to your hand focusing on whatever he could to avert your eyes, silently being reminded of what had happened to the people he cared about in the past. He didn't want to go through that again, not with you.

"I- Shadow.." you tried to speak before he began again. "I know it might not seem like it all the time but I really do care for you, I want you to promise me you'd protect yourself if you ever needed me and I couldn't be there for you. If the time ever comes."

You both fell silent now. In awe at what he said, usually used to his quiet and cold behavior not catching the slight red tint on his muzzle. But when it was just the two of you he seemed to come to life and opened up a lot more after all the years you two spent knowing each other.

You were what Shadow was seeking all this time, someone that understood him and took your time getting to truly know him, even trying to help him with his goals. And he admired you for staying through all his mistakes in life and misunderstandings. After all, not everyone is perfect, perhaps not even the Ultimate Life form. And you loved him the way he was.

Shadow suddenly stood up from the bed as you grabbed his wrist, stopping him from leaving. You stood up with him and hugged him. Even though it was just a hug, it was more than that to him, to have someone comfort and support him, no words were needed to know how the other felt as your grip around his waist was firm but caring.

He longed for something like this with you, to create one of many special moments that he's had with you during missions and on adventures, and you didn't want them to end.

- End of flashback -

It was the middle of the night, the crickets chirping outside of Amy's home surrounded by nature and forestry.

You did your best to sneak down the steps to get to the front door, trying not to make any creaks or sounds that would awake Amy from her sleep, as you knew for a while now she's not exactly a heavy sleeper.

You opened the door the best you could without any loud sounds and stepped out the door, making sure that you closed it behind you as silent as possible before you began to hurry away from the house, before you were interrupted with the sound of the door reopening.

"(Y/n) I heard you the whole time yknow." Amy's good hearing got you caught in the end (all that work and for what???)

"Okay okay you caught me Ames, are you gonna try to convince me again? You know how long I've been waiting to see him and-"

"(Nickname) it's alright this time I promise, please go. I thought about it for a bit and.. it took me some time but I understand how you feel now. If I was in your shoes and wanted to seek out Sonic I'd go to hell and back just to see him again. So please, go, but be careful."

Amy spoke as she stood against the doorframe with a soft smile on her face. She knew you'd never give up, she knew it all this time but Amy being Amy she was worried about you. She didn't want anything bad to happen to her best friend and risking your safety like this.

Before you got to say anything Amy walked up to you and handed you a jade necklace, you've seen it before sitting on her dresser but never asked about it.

"Here (Y/n), it's a necklace I had kept for good luck, and I want you to have it. Just promise me you'll come back safe and sound alright!" The pink hedgehog hugged you tightly as you hugged her back and gave her a smile.

"Of course I will Ames, and hey maybe I'll even get to bring you a souvenir!" You joked as you began running father from her home heading to Mobius.

- To be continued -