Joel stood up. "Fine. Wait, no, I stood up too fast."

Lizzie steadied him.

We all grabbed hands, FWhip hesitating before taking mine, and then Gem said, "Gandalf," and we were gone, leaving Sausage's dead body and a whole lot of blood behind.

I realized I had left my sword. It was a nice one, shaped like a leaf and coated in Netherite. I had also decorated it with bits of gold and magically colored green metal in the center.

Oh, well. Too late now.

I was better off without it. I knew now what happened when I had it.

We landed a little bit above the Crystal Cliffs and glided down. Despite bordering the Grimlands, the Crystal Cliffs had minimal damage done to it probably because of the gigantic mountain in the way that the place was named for.

Gem went inside her house to get her cats and screamed.

The rest of us exchanged glances of alarm (the first eye contact anyone had made with me since I killed Sausage) and followed her inside.

Inside, we found the wizard facing a much older man with a hat even bigger than hers, wearing white robes. He had a long grey beard and clutched a large wooden staff. "Oh, hello."

"Who are you?" Gem said, her staff out. "And what are you doing in my house?"

The older wizard shrugged. "You know me, but you only remember me as a cat. My name is Gandalf."

"You're the cat who hated me?" I snorted. "And I suppose you came from another universe, seeking refuge."

"That's true as well," Gandalf said.

"Your whiskers were just as impressive as a cat as they are now," FWhip observed. Joel laughed.

Gandalf looked a little confused. "I'm a wizard from another land called Middle-Earth, along with two hobbits and a group of elves, the ancestors of your friend Scott."

"Wait, you are from another universe?" Lizzie asked, her eyes wide.

"Indeed."

Indeed. Nobody said that anymore.

"The Crystal Cliffs is in good hands, Gemini," Gandalf said. "You still have much to learn. But you will learn it in time."

"This... this is a lot to process," Gem said. "You're an ancient wizard who knew the ancestors of Scott, an elf who would have lived for hundreds of years if he didn't have a demon brother, and then you turned into a cat, my cat, and now you're a wizard again."

"Pretty much," Gandalf agreed.

"And I'm guessing Goose is a wizard too?" Gem asked, crossing her arms.

Gandalf shook his head. "Goose is an actual cat. But the Crystal Cliffs still exist and thrive, and I am willing to run them if you wish to leave."

"That would be great, thanks," Gem said, a little awkwardly. "I'm just here to get the dragon egg and Goose, and then I'll be out and you can take over."

She spoke like she had been a wizard for a very long time, even though in skill she was just an apprentice.

Goose, the fluffy, squish-faced cat who hated me like every other, padded into the room and meowed at Gem.

Gem picked him up. "Okay. Just the dragon egg, and then off to... wherever you guys want to go."

"A tip for hatching the egg," Gandalf said. "Use fire magic. A lot of it. Your friend Scar should be able to help with that."