Chapter Sixty-six: Code Name "Nightshade"

Start from the beginning

"The thing is... he's not here."

"W-what?" I mumbled out of surprise.

"Come inside and let's talk," she invited me in. I sat on the sofa as she offered me some afternoon snacks which I politely declined. However, she insisted on at least drinking a cup of tea.

"Marky has arrived at early dawn," Mr. Mendoza explained. "He said he just went to Baguio to see you but he failed again to take you back. He then pulled his luggage to his room and then packed a smaller traveling bag. He said he will be gone for some quite time."

"But did he mention where he'll go?" I asked.

"I'm afraid not," he replied. "Marky just told us not to worry. He then soon left the house and then, hailed a cab."

"How would I supposed to find him now?" I mouthed. We were distracted when someone rang the doorbell. Mrs. Mendoza opened it. "Justin? Fancy seeing you. You should have called so we prepared you something special."

"I'm sorry, Aunt Melinda," a voice apologized. "I was dropping by to see Marky."

"He's not here. It sounds urgent though. Why don't you come in for a while and have a cup of tea? I just brewed some."

"That would be nice," the person agreed before entering the house. I took the liberty to look at the person. I guess he's Marky's cousin. He looked at me, too when he realized my presence. "I know you," he said. "You're Marky's fiancé, right?"

"Fiance?" I repeated. "Do you mean Natalia?"

"Oh, no," he laughed. "She's just part of the past. Marky was showing your picture around during my birthday celebration. He said you're the person he's planning to marry. He kept on babbling about that until morning. He was so drunk that he passed out and slept on the sofa."

"When was this?"

"A few days ago," he replied.

"Was Natalia been there, too?"

"Well, yeah," he answered. "My sister and Natalia became close. She asked me to invite her, too. Don't get jealous, okay? We carried Marky to his apartment in the morning but he was still too drunk during that time."

"I understand," I replied. THAT EFFIN WOMAN!

I will cut all her hair the next time I meet her. "Oh, I remember," Justin continued before pulling something out of his pocket. He showed me a men's bracelet. It's the one I gave Marky. "Marky has been looking for it for days. He told me it's a gift from the most important person in his life. I found it in the garden and wanted to personally bring it back. Since you're here, I'll return it to you instead. I smiled as he handed the jewelry to me. Now, I finally learned that Marky is indeed innocent.

I sighed. "Mom... Dad... I need to go. Please, call me when you have news about Marky."

"We sure will."

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

DAYS have passed and there's still no sound of Marky. The Legal Department has been filled once again by the energy of the Teletubbies but for me, the place remained terribly gloomy while he's not here.

"I wonder if he's doing fine," I said softly as I stare at my screen. I don't know how much time has already passed but one's thing is for sure, I am not being productive and I'm hating myself right now.

"Still no sign of him?" Council JC asked while he is hitting the keys of his keyboard.

"None," I answered. "His phone number is out of reach. He hasn't updated his social media accounts, too."