Chapter 19 - A Perplexed Parisian's Predicament

Chapter Song: Until I Found You by Stephen Sanchez

Evelyn
I'm a terrible person.

I can't believe I just bribed a literal child to break into my apartment. What kind of behavior does that teach? Answer: the bad kind.

Oh shit.

I don't think he locked my window. So help me, if I come back and he stole something I swear I will...

I don't know, actually. But I'll do something.

I won't call the cops on him or anything, but maybe I'll throw a water balloon or something at him. I'll take suggestions.

~~~

"Ev, hey," Michael greeted.

"Hey."

"Is that all you have?" Michael asked, eyeing the bag slung over my shoulder. It consisted of one pair of shorts, one pair of jeans, two bras, one t-shirt, and five pairs of underwear.When I was packing my little 'go bag,' I probably should've packed more. Oh well.

"Yeah," I shrugged, "I couldn't exactly go into my apartment to get more."

"Shit, sorry. I didn't mean-"

"It's okay, I'm just joking." Michael still looked tense though, almost as if he was nervous.

"Are you okay?"

"What? Yeah, I'm fine. Come in."

Michael stepped to the side so I could walk in and I was amazed. Last time I was here I was delirious with a fever and only conscious maybe twenty percent of the time, so I felt like this is the first time that I'm actually seeing his apartment.

It's small, but it's nice. There's an open floor plan, or at least as open as it can be in a two bedroom apartment, and everything in his house matches. Each shade of grey or dark blue works really well each other, the light and dark tones of the room completely balanced so it doesn't feel like I'm standing in a cave. Not to be sexist or anything, but most guys don't know about complementary colors.

It's kind of funny though, there's next to no color in his apartment other the-

Oh my God.

There's a fish tank.

"I figured Wasabi might need a place to say," Michael said, noting where I was staring. "Is this okay?"

Does he even need to ask? He bought a fish tank for Wasabi. It's not the fact that he bought it that's leaving me speechless, it's his thoughtfulness.

And now Wasabi doesn't need to spend the next two weeks in a water bottle or tall bowl. He has his own fish tank.

"Michael, thank you."

"Yeah, it's no problem," he shrugged. I couldn't help but see the tension in his shoulders lessen and his stance become more relaxed.

Was he nervous about what I would think of his apartment? Of this incredible gesture that he's shown?

"Michael," I took his hands in my own. "Thank you."

Michael stared down at our joined hands, then back up at me. Technically, he was still looking down. But I didn't dwell on the technicalities. I pushed myself up a little bit and gave him a soft, gentle kiss.

I felt him smile against my lips and whisper, "That was nice."

"Oh yeah?" I mumbled, kissing him again.