Chapter 27: The Uchiha Prodigy [Shippuden]

Start from the beginning

"Kill me Sasuke, I dare you" She challenged. Sasuke glared at her and I noticed his hand shaking slightly.

"Why do you always have to be like this!?" He shouted shoving her instead as he returned his Katana to it sheath. Rin stumbled into Kabuto who kept a hold on her arms.

"The same reasons you do" She replied as Orochimaru stepped between them.

"Enough, Rin you still have some time with us before you can return to the Akatsuki. You have no say in the matter unless you want to deal with him." He threated. Rin glared at him then pulled from Kabuto.

"Fine, but I'll catch up. I need to blow off some steam before I hit his idiot" She said motioning to Sasuke. Orochimaru smirked slightly.

"You better" Was all he said before he, Sasuke and Kabuto seemed to disappear in flames. She sighed as she jumped down into the crater. I tensed as she picked up her Katana and she glanced at me.

"Oh relax" She said as she slid it into her belt. I noticed her bend down and pick something else up then watched as she walked over to Naruto who was now bent over crying.

"Naruto, Sakura" Naruto looked at and Sakura turned, both had tears in their eyes.

"You have to be strong, together. Sasuke and I aren't the only members of this team." She told him offering her hand. He stared at her and took her hand letting her help him up. She handed him his necklace and he took it as he stared down her.

"He didn't mean it you know, that you're a tool."

"I know, but it still hurts" She replied. I noticed her tense when he hugged her but slowly she relaxed and returned the gesture.

"You can come back you know" He said and she sighed as she stepped back from him.

"In handcuffs maybe, I'm a criminal Naruto I don't think I'll ever be able to go back."

"You're not a criminal" She turned then facing me.

"Criminal's don't so easily admit that they are, they believe in their purpose too much to see what they do is wrong." She smiled slightly and shrugged.

"I have a greater purpose, and it doesn't involve hurting the leaf or my comrades." She replied before facing Naruto.

"Leave Sasuke to me, he's not ready to come back yet but I'll protect him out here. I can promise you that." Naruto smiled slightly.

"Thanks Rin" She returned the smile and nodded.

"He's my brother, he may be an idiot sometimes but family is family." She explained.

"Anyways, I better go. Good luck and tell Kakashi..." She paused then and sighed before meeting Naruto's gaze.

"Tell him I'll see him around" Was the last thing she said before disappearing. I stared at where she had been, she was fast I'll give her that but there was something else about her. I wasn't sure what but all I knew was she wasn't criminal, not by nature or even by choice. There was something more there and I think that's what kept us alive.

=================================================================

Kakashi

It figures that a mission that started out with something as simple as gathering information turned into such a mess. I guess I shouldn't have expected any less. Jiriya had come earlier to explain everything that happened; even the fight with Sasuke. He was much more far-gone than I had thought.

"When he told me you said you'd see me around I didn't think it'd be this soon" I said glancing up from my book.

"I'm just full of surprises" She replied a slight smile on her lips as she stepped from the shadows.

"Rin" I greeted as she walked to my bedside.

"You should mention to Lady Tsunade that security could use a little tightening up, otherwise anyone could sneak in." She teased and I chuckled slightly.

"Not everyone can use dark jutsu like you" I replied to which she shrugged.

"How is everyone?" She asked.

"Hurt, same old problems and still vague explanations."

"It's hard to understand Sasuke, trust me I still can't half the time." She replied.

"I was referring to you" She met my gaze then.

"Even Yamato saw it; he doesn't understand why you chose to live your life like that or how. You're initial instinct is still protection."

"I know and it infuriates the Akatsuki and Orochimaru. They've spent years trying to beat it out of me but as you can tell no luck" She explained as she sat on the edge of my bed.

"What are you doing here anyways?" I asked.

"Came to see you" She said simply and I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Aren't you still with the Kazekage?" I replied and she nodded.

"Yeah, but I'm sure you've heard the rumours. They don't see it as Gaara and Rin they see it as the Kazekage and a criminal. What I did for their village is slowly being forgotten."

"What are you going to do?" She shrugged.

"I haven't decided yet" I sighed then as I rested my hand on hers, she tensed slightly but didn't move as she met my gaze.

"Naruto needs to get stronger"

"I know" I replied.

"You need to find out his chakra nature, develop a new jutsu from there. Hopefully its wind since most of Sasuke's jutsu are now lightning based." She started.

"He needs an edge, if they meet again and I or you aren't around they will kill each other" She said it as fact not as an assumption.

"You know as well as I do that creating new jutsu can takes years, and we don't have that time" I pointed out and she nodded.

"I know, look when I trained with Orochimaru he made me use shadow clones. I could only use two or three at a time and normally I was out for days after training but it forced me to learn the jutsu faster." She explained.

"Naruto has more chakra than you or me and we've seen him create hundreds of shadow clones at one time. Training that took me or you years could take him weeks." I nodded slightly, she was right of course and it was a good idea.

"Alright I'll consider it, now what's going on with the Akatsuki?" I asked and she sighed.

"We're on the move that's all I can tell you." She said firmly and I nodded as she stood up.

"What about you?" I questioned.

"I have to head back to Orochimaru for a few days but I'll be back with the Akatsuki within the week. The assassination request on Sai was withdrawn so he's safe but I do have some new assignments before I join up with my new team." She explained.

"Who are they, your new assignments?" I asked and she shrugged.

"Not from here, a group of grave robbers or something. I forget their names" She said with a shrug.

"But I do need to get going" I caught her wrist as she slid off the bed and she turned back looking at me. I noticed her smile slightly.

"I'll be careful alright?" She whispered and I nodded.

"Alright, same here" She smiled then when I let go of her wrist. I watched as she backed up and seemed to fade into the shadows. I sighed as I rested back into my pillows once the feeling of her chakra vanished. I really did miss her but I was glad she still tried to help us in any way she could.