The Thing About Love

Comenzar desde el principio

"I just don't want to see you get hurt... Driven mad by your very own Hamlet," he said lightly, though the glint in his eyes told her he cared about anything but. "They all think that they're the only one he's cared about and that it'll be them and Charlie Weasley forever. But it's simply not the case. I'm trying to save you, really."

"No, ye're not," she said, still glaring at him. "And Charlie's no Hamlet."

"But isn't he? Though instead of obsessed by revenge, the only thing he cares about are dragons," Lazlo replied. Ophelia didn't reply, just scowled at him.

Lazlo stared down at her a moment before gripping her arms and spinning her around so that she was pinned against the table, his body pressing up against hers. Ophelia's eyes widened as the breath left her.

"And... perhaps I do have a bit of a vested interest in this," he said, looking her up and down.

Ophelia's eyes narrowed as she met his gaze, disgust rolling around in her stomach.

"And ye think this is the way to get me?" she asked with a snort. "I'm leavin' soon. And when I leave, I'll still be with Charlie. But I'll never be with ye."

She shoved him back and pushed past him.

"I may not get you, but I certainly know that it'll never work out with Charlie," he called out with a harsh laugh.

Ophelia stopped for a moment and looked over her shoulder at him before turning and striding out of the shed, her head held high.

She wasn't about to let him see that his words had gotten to her. She and Charlie had talked about this. She knew that he wasn't going to forget her when she left, that they were going to try and make this work - regardless of whatever past he may have had. But she couldn't help as a sliver of worry slipped in.

Even though they had said they would try, that they wanted to make it work, that was no guarantee that it would. What if the distance was too much? What if it was true that the only thing Charlie cared about was dragons and he would soon forget about her? Give up?

Shaking her head, she continued on, looking for Charlie. They needed to get to work.

"He cares about ye. About this," she scolded herself. "Ye'll make it work... ye are in love with him, ye git, or did ye forget about that?"

Ophelia's inner rant continued until she found Charlie waiting for her in front of his cabin - where they were set to meet. He wasn't facing her, his back tense. But just the sight of him sent relief through her and a smile came over her face.

Lazlo was just trying to get to her, that was all. None of it was true. Everything would be fine.

"Hey," she said softly, reaching out for his arm.

Charlie flinched slightly at her touch, which she found a bit odd, but then he turned and saw her, his warm, familiar smile coming over his face.

"Ready?" he asked. Ophelia nodded.

"Let's go."