24

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since it's inception.", McGonagall said as all the Gryffindor students were gathered in the Great Hall. The tables had been removed as the girls sat on one side of the room and the boys sat on the other side. Ellie sat beside Hermione as she looked across the room where Harry and Ron sat with Fred and George standing behind them. She caught George's eye and smiled at him as he blew a kiss her way before turning back to pay attention to McGonagall. "On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests, gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. And I mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is first and foremost, a dance."

Excited chatter errupted from the girls as the boys all began to grumble and complain about the news of the dance. Ellie had never been to a dance before and she could feel the excitement building up inside of her at the thought of it, especially at the thought of going with George. 

"Silence!", McGonagall exclaimed as everyone calmed down and listened to her, "The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching the name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons." Ellie snorted as she watched Fred and George repeat what McGonagall had said and shook her head at them with a smile on her face. 

"Now, to dance is to let the body breathe. Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst forth and take flight. Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley?", McGonagall says as she walks over in front of Ron. "Will you join me please?", she asks as she pulls Ron up from his seat and walks to the middle of the room. Ellie couldn't contain her laughter as she watched McGonagall instruct Ron to put his hand on her waist as they began to, well, attempt to dance. Ron was clearly struggling as he couldn't get his footing right and he clearly felt embarassed dancing with McGonagall. 

"Everybody come together!", McGonagall instructed as everyone got up on their feet and walked to find someone to dance with. Ellie couldn't see where George was over the crowd of the rest of the students and began to walk around to try to find him. Suddenly she felt a pair of hands grab her waist as she's spun around quickly and looks up to see George smirking down at her. "Good thing I got to you before anyone else or we would have had a problem.", he said as she rolled her eyes and placed her arms around his neck as they swayed to the rhythm of the music being played in the background. "So what are your thoughts on this whole dancing business?", she asked him while trying to make sure she didn't step on his feet. 

He turned his head from watching everyone else in the room to look back down at her and immediately felt his heart thump at her big doe eyes staring up at him. "I reckon it could be a bit of fun. Have you ever been to a dance before?" 

She shook her head in response to his question as they continued dancing together and moving about the room, "Nope. It actually makes me quite nervous. I don't really know what to expect but I'm excited for something new.", she said as her eyes wandered to where Fred was dancing with a beautiful girl. "Who's Fred dancing with?"