Liam's Story- Family Makes the Heartache Disappear

Hey guys! New story, please read =) 

Vote and comment! 

-Elle <3 <3

Chapter One

Liam slowly opened his eyes to a beautiful morning, noting birds chirping outside the window. The five-year-old loved spring. It was his favorite season because it’s a great contrast to the barren landscape of winter, and everything blooms and starts anew.

Liam sniffed the air excitedly. His favorite breakfast! He crept on all fours, making believe he was a spy. He was determined to startle Alyson, his mom, in the kitchen, and then raid the special breakfast.

As he crawled down the hallway, he spied a tall girl with long, wavy brown hair leaving a room. “Hey, Macy!” Liam smiled up at his sister sweetly.

“Hi, sweetie! Happy birthday!” She looked down at him, an amused grin on her face.

He scowled, hating when she calls him that. A scowl that quickly morphed into a huge grin when he remembered: it’s his birthday! Forgetting his spy mission, Liam raced into the kitchen to claim his homemade birthday treat. He bear-hugged his mom’s knees, startling her like he had originally hoped. Alyson turned around. “There’s my favorite birthday boy!” she exclaimed. 

Liam gazed at the pancakes, his birthday breakfast, longingly. The pancakes stared back. Just for today, Alyson, his mom, has given him an extra pancake. He got to eat two, like a big boy. The pancakes were on his favorite plate, the one that says his name, L-I-A-M, with four letters, like he is learning in kindergarten. Liam eagerly plopped onto the chair. Gazed back at his mom. Asked her with his eyes: Please? Just this once?

“No, baby,” Alyson laughed, her eyes crinkling at the edges. “We have to wait ‘till Macy and Dad come to the table, then we’ll say grace and eat. Just hang in there, sweetheart.” Liam pouted, his eyes on the pancakes that were rapidly growing cold. He thought about today. At three o’clock, his birthday party was scheduled to start. Alyson said he could invite four school friends, and he chose Garrett, Jacob, Ryan, and Luke. The boys will go miniature golfing and swimming in the kiddie pool that Liam received for his fourth birthday.

“Mom, how much longer until three o’clock?” Liam asked suddenly.

Alyson chuckled. “Your birthday will be here before you know it, Bug.”

Macy strode through the door. Trying to get a different answer, Liam asked, “Hi, sissy! When will my birthday party start?”

Macy and Alyson looked at each other, smiling, silently exchanging a message that Liam does not understand. “Soon, honey,” Macy laughed.

 But Liam does not comprehend that word. “When is soon?” he asked.

 Dave, Liam’s dad, entered the kitchen. “Seven hours, son. Now let’s eat!”

 *** 

“Macy, I don’t feel good.”

“What is it, Sweetpea?” Macy feels Liam’s forehead. “You feel kinda hot. Let me take your temperature.” As his big sister got the thermometer, Liam can only think about one thing: his party. Will it be cancelled?

Macy wondered if Liam was sick. Was it the pancakes he ate? Maybe he ate too many? Stop worrying, Macy chided herself. He’ll be fine. At least she hoped so. She bustled into the kitchen, all business-like. “Open.” He complied. She stuck the thermometer under his tongue. 102 degrees?! Liam whimpered, and looked up at her with wide eyes. He looks really pale, Macy noticed. We have to get him to a doctor.

“Where are mommy and daddy?” Liam asked innocently.

 “They’ll be here soon, baby,” Macy lied. She knows that they are out purchasing party supplies and won’t be home for an hour. “Come on, Liam, we’re going to go to the doctor.”

“No, not the doctor!” Liam protested weakly. Macy scooped him up in her arms.

“It’ll be all right,” she soothed, kissing his forehead. Liam’s eyelids flutter closed. 

***

“Okay, the results are in,” the doctor said, strolling into the room. “And I believe you’ll want the rest of your family in here before I deliver the news.” He gave Macy a sympathetic look before swiftly exiting the room. 

Macy picked up the phone, her hand shaking. “Mom, you need to get down here.”

“Where are you, honey? What happened?”

“Just meet me at the doctor’s office. Something’s… something’s happened to Liam,” Macy choked out. And with that she hung up. Macy’s gaze rested worriedly on Liam. What could have happened? The wait seems to take forever. Macy can’t stop staring at the clock. 2:01. 2:17. 2:23. And Alyson and Dave burst into the room. “Where’s Liam?” they asked, frantic. Dave scooped up his son, hugging him to his chest. “Dad…” Liam said weakly.

Doctor Fettyson stepped cautiously into the room, turning around to close the door. He settled on a chair and faced the Joneses. “Your son, Liam, has Leukemia,” he stated.

Macy’s mouth hung open. She wasn’t expecting anything like this. Maybe he had a cold, or pneumonia, but cancer? Her brother, Liam Zachary Jones, could not have cancer. She stifled a sob, and turned to see the reaction of her parents. Her mom wept silently, tears streaming down her cheeks, while her dad looked extremely shocked. His body was tense, mouth set in a straight line, while his eyes gave him away. They were wide with fear. Macy knew what her whole family was thinking, as she was thinking it herself: What now? She gazed at Liam, snoring peacefully, and wondered how it was that in the blink of an eye, her whole world turned completely upside down.

Okay, first chapter! What will happen to Liam? Will he still have his birthday party? Will the parents tell Liam about his cancer?

I will try to post two chapters every week. (That might change later).

Thanks for reading, loves!