swing by

a/n: this was written with the amazing spiderman!peter (aka andrew's peter) in mind, but i know that's not my usual content, so feel free to take liberties with who you imagine!!

-

"Ugh," you groaned, grabbing your lunch out of the fridge in the teacher's lounge, setting it onto the table next to your favorite coworker with a thump, "Sorry I'm late."

The thud of your lunch bag on the table got Peter's attention as he looked up from his phone, mid-bite, "Oh, no worries, Y/N." His lips pressed together as he smiled up at you, moving a few of his things over so you could sit next to him, "Class didn't want to cooperate?"

"No. Normally they're pretty good, especially when they want to get to lunch, but today..." you trailed off, shaking your head as you took a bite of the sandwich you'd made for yourself that morning.

Peter took a sip of his coke — you were fairly certain he never went anywhere without some kind of caffeine in hand, but still somehow always looked tired — and then laughed, "Of course. Always at lunch. What was it this time? An argument? General misbehavior?"

It took a second for you to answer, trying not to laugh with your mouth full. Being an elementary school teacher was definitely not easy, but you loved it. And one of the perks, aside from the adorable kids, was your wonderful coworker, Peter Parker. He was about the same age as you, and also taught third and fourth graders — he taught science, you taught history — and he quickly became your best friend at work. You always ate lunch together, and if one of you had a free hour, you usually ended up in the other's classroom, even if they were still teaching. You'd frequently find yourself lesson planning together, or taking on projects and activities for the grade together.

"I honestly don't even know how it started," you shrugged, "Something about Spider-Man? No idea how that devolved into an argument."

This caught Peter by surprise, eyes going wide as he nearly choked his drink, "Wha— what does Spider-Man have to do with anything?"

"No idea. I'll try to figure it out after lunch, I'll let you know," you laughed, "Anyway, how are your monsters today?"

A smile took over Peter's face as he began telling you about something one of his students had said to him, and then immediately launched into telling you about one of the science experiments the kids were going to do later that afternoon. You absolutely adored the way his face lit up; how obvious it was that he loved teaching the kids and how much he loved science. He was an amazing teacher, and you'd seen it time and time again. The smile he was giving you brought you back into the moment, "So, yeah, I, um, I hope they really like the experiment as much as I do. Wanna chip?" He held his bag of chips out to you, looking expectantly; he knew that you almost never said no.

"Thanks, Peter," you plucked a chip from the bag, not being able to help the smile that tugged at your lips.

Per usual, your lunch break went by way too quickly for your liking, and soon you were walking towards the cafeteria with Peter to get your classes from recess. His students came in first, bouncing with the familiar after-recess excitement they always had.

"Hi, Mr. Parker!" one of his students asked as he came inside.

"Hey, Jack! How were lunch and recess?" Peter asked, and you were able to hear just how genuine he was, waiting for the boy's answer.

"Awesome! We had pizza for lunch, and then I got one of the swings on the playground!"

"Oh, that sounds great! I'm glad you had a good break. Think you're up to being the line leader, and setting a good example for the rest of our class right now?"