Chapter One | A Party

Start from the beginning

"Hi ..." She almost whispers as she looks at him and smiles shyly. Is this guy her ex-boyfriend?

"Hi." He bends down and kisses her on the cheek, and her cheeks instantly turn red. Then he looks at me, raising an eyebrow. "Who is she?" He looks at Felix as he raises two hands in defence, as if he is guilty of something he did.  

"She's Mia's co-worker

"She's Mia's co-worker." He looks at me again and extends his hand, smiling. "Hero, nice to meet you. I hope this idiot hasn't scared you off yet."

Hero? As in ... that Hero? The one I texted for about three years? The one who cursed me out on the phone because I wanted to go on a date? Is this that Hero?

"Josephine, are you okay? You look a little pale." Mia grabs my hand and looks at me, worried. I nod and smile to assure her I'm okay.

"Felix, can you please get her a glass of water? I think it's because of the smoke." Mia instructs Felix what to do while she and Hero look at me.

"No, no! I'm fine. Please don't bother. I'll go and have a glass of water on my own. You're the host." I try to reason with him, but he shakes his head.

"You're the guest. Wait here." He hits Hero on the shoulder, and they both go to the kitchen.

"Are you okay? Do you want me to open a window or something? I knew you were a non-smoker, but I didn't expect you to feel sick.

"Yes, I'm fine. So ..." I look in the direction Felix and Hero went. "So I guess he's the ex?" She looks towards the kitchen and blushes.

"Yeah, he is my ex-boyfriend. I don't know how he does it, but I honestly feel like I hate him when he's not around. And then I see him again, and he looks at me with those eyes, and I fall again like the first time." She sighs and takes two cans of beer from the table. "For the weekend!"

"For the weekend ..." I take the beer can in my hand and drink a mouthful, squeezing my nose when the bitter taste of beer touches my taste buds.

***