Book 4 Chapter XVI: In The City

Começar do início

"Have you heard? A group of serial killers are murdering people on Muirus 9436!"

"They're not serial killers. I heard they belong to a cult that tells them to murder everyone who doesn't follow it."

"No, you're wrong! The message says they're flesh-eating monsters!"

"And if you really believe that, perhaps you'd like to buy a house overlooking the sea in Feranir[1]."

None of the gossipers paid much attention to the woman sitting at the table behind them. Haliran, on the other hand, listened to every word they said.

Since her escape she'd spent most of her time in cities where it was easy to hide. She'd hidden outside a blacksmith's shop until the blacksmith left, then used his tools to remove her handcuffs. Then she'd stolen clothes from a clothesline, picked a woman's pocket for money, and made her way to the nearest large city. She had no clear idea of where to go or what to do beyond 'evade capture for as long as possible'. The only thing she knew for certain was that she wanted to get revenge on Ilaran and Siarvin. But she also knew that they would be waiting for her if she tried to attack Tananerl. She had to find a more roundabout way of dealing with them.

This message from Muirus 9436 was exactly what she needed. A little bit of digging and she discovered that the incompetent necromancer had visited that planet shortly before the first report of walking corpses. A few questions asked to the right people and she discovered that Abihira had disappeared, possibly to Muirus 9436. Haliran easily put those facts together and deduced that there really were flesh-eating monsters on the loose.

Years ago she'd met another necromancer, a much more competent one, who kept a cellar full of those monsters. Anyone they bit turned into one of them. A plan began to form in Haliran's mind. If she could get one of those monsters from Muirus 9436 to Vanerth, if she could set it loose in Tananerl, it would get rid of Ilaran and Siarvin for her.

She just needed someone to help her catch it.

~~~~

"The first thing we need to do is find the best place to lure the monsters to," Abi said. "It has to be somewhere with nowhere for them to hide and also not near the rest of the city."

Irímé looked out at the spaceship's landing area. "If we move that ship out of the way--"

"No," Lian said. "Too many buildings around. Too many ways for them to escape. We need somewhere we can trap them, somewhere like--"

"An outdoor theatre?" Irímé suggested.

The other two considered this.

"That would work," Abi agreed.

Lian nodded. "As long as we find a way to lock all the doors. Are there any outdoor theatres in this city?"

Abi looked out the window. It was still only mid-afternoon and there was plenty of sunlight. "I suppose I could try to find one."

Irímé did a double take. "You can't go outside! It's not safe!"

"Not on foot," she agreed, "but I was thinking of flying. I've got to get used to it somehow, and nothing's trying to kill us right now so this is as good a time as any." She looked at Shizuki, still fast asleep next to Irímé. "But we really have to get him home somehow. I'm going to ask Ilaran if it's okay to take him through the Void as long as he promises to keep his eyes closed."

Lian looked at her as if she was out of her mind.

~~~~

Ilaran had heard many strange things from Abihira, but this took the cake. Take Shizuki through the what now?