𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch01.1, homecoming

Start from the beginning

"I mean, he was invited. But, I don't know if he'll show."

"Was your friend invited?" She asked, referring to Dame's girlfriend.

"It's a family thing. I'm attending with my family." He said, motioning between her and Georgie.

"I already told you, I don't really mind. That's your girlfriend. You need to start inviting her to stuff."

"I mind though. I respect you and my daughter. And so does she."

"Okay, but at some point, y'all gotta admit that is a serious thing. Right. It's been like two years since y'all been official. If you decide to marry her, how is that gone work?"

"IF I marry her, she'll be family. Then, it won't be an issue anymore."

"Welcome to McDonalds, go ahead when you're ready."the woman at the restaurant yelled through the intercom.

"You don't owe me nothing, Dame" she assured him.

"The baby in the car, Sadé. You know she pick up everything. We can talk later, Aight."

Sade cruised along the bridge as the crossed the Detroit River. "Look at the water Georgie." She cooed, driving slow enough for the three year old to take it all in. Moments later, they were passing the clock at the entrance of Belle Isle. The next five to ten minutes were spent driving around the island, road after curve after backway after dead-end until they finally found where they were supposed to be meeting the rest of the family.

The three of them sat in the car eating their burgers and fries with all four of the doors open. It was a hot day—98 degrees. Dame watched people pull up to the lot. He saw no familiar faces except for some he recognized from the photo albums in his grandparents' house. Then, he saw Lonnie pull up with an unfamiliar guy and Jah in the car with him. He tensed up. The last time he'd seen Lonnie was, well he couldn't remember. But, when he saw him, he thought of everything that went down that summer, including Cobe being killed.

"Sade." He said, still watching the three men across the lot. She followed his gaze. "You think this is a mistake introducing Georgie to all this so early?"

"She don't have to know everything, Dame. Just that it's her uncle."

"He killed people, Sadé." He said as low as he could, fearing his daughter still may be able to hear him, he turned the radio up a bit. "He a monster. It's like, I hated how Maverik treated him when it came to Reese, but now I feel the same way about my kid being around them. And I know that shit ain't right." He shook his head. All his excitement had gone down the drain. Instead of butterflies, he was feeling something tugging at his insides. "I feel like I gotta shit." He mumbled, watching the three men make their way over to the shelter. A few people got up, greeting them with smiles and hugs.

He looked at his daughter sitting in the backseat. "She deserve to live a life ignorant to all the evil shit in this world. I don't want her to grow up as fast as I had to."

"Just don't overthink today, aight? It's just a lil party with a few bad people but mostly good people with good intentions who are excited to see you after all these years. And, you're getting to see Aajané for the first time since y'all was kids. Don't let that nigga ruin shit for you. And I mean not one muthafucking thing— he already took enough from you. Don't let him take your joy too."

"Period." Georgie added from the backseat.

Sadé's mouth fell agape, lookin at Georgie. "See, she just be all up in grown folks convos. We gotta get her some damn ear plugs." She laughed.

"Cole here." He exclaimed, looking at the big blue bronco across the way. He stepped out the car and leaned down so only his head was peeking into the car at his baby, "I'll be right back, baby." He said, kissing Georgie on her forehead.