Covid and Me

The second wave of Corona was spreading all across the country. My husband had to travel to Mumbai for work.
I had closed down my clinic due to the second wave. So I was home alone for those 4 days with nothing much to do.
Rohit flew back to Delhi on May 14, 2021. I couldn't wait for his return. I missed him very much during those four days. He texted me that he had landed at the airport. But, an hour later, he called to tell me that he had tested positive for covid-19.
He had to remain at the airport until he got an RT-PCR test done, taking about 4-5 hours. I was now anxious. At about 7.45 PM, Rohit called and told me that his test results confirmed that he was positive. He would be shifted to a hotel to be quarantined.
I was very upset and worried. Rohit started showing symptoms over the next 4 days, and his condition deteriorated. The doctors at the quarantine facility had him transferred to a hospital. But, his condition further worsened. The doctors at the hospital advised us to look for a hospital with a ventilator facility.
I ran from pillar to post to arrange for a bed with a ventilator for Rohit. I called in favors, but none of it helped. In my search, I landed up at a multi-specialty hospital in Saket. I was making inquiries about possibly getting one for Rohit. I left my contact information with the receptionist.
Half an hour later, I received a call from that hospital saying the senior doctor would like to speak with me. I rushed back to that hospital. I was told to go to the Covid control room. I took the lift to the third floor and went into the control room.
I found a person at the entrance and told him that I was asked to come up here about an available bed. He asked me my name and the person I was supposed to meet. I said, "I don't know whom I have to meet. But my name is...." Before I could complete that sentence, a familiar voice behind me said, "Tanya Bhatia."
I turned around to see who it was. I froze in shock. It was Vivek. Vivek Sharma. My ex-boyfriend. Vivek gave a smile and said, "Hi Tanu. It's been so long. How are you? Congratulations on the wedding, by the way."
I was still shocked. But I composed myself and replied, "Hi, Dr. Vivek. Thank you. How come you're here?"
Vivek said, "Dr. Vivek? So formal. I shifted to Delhi about 2 years ago. I have been working here ever since."
I said, "Oh! That's nice."
Vivek said, "You didn't tell me how you are."
I said, "Have been better. I'm looking for a bed with a ventilator for Rohit, my husband. No luck so far. However, the receptionist asked me to come up here to meet a senior doctor."
Vivek gave a sly smile and said, "That would be me. I'm also currently in charge of the Covid control room here." I stood there, still shocked, not knowing what to make of the situation.
Vivek spoke, "Why don't you follow me to my office. We'll talk there." I nodded and followed him. His office was the third room on the left. He opened the door and held it open for me. Once we entered, he shut the door and bolted it from inside. We sat down at his desk.
Vivek was the first to speak, "Do you want something to drink?"
I said, "No. Thank you."
Vivek gave a smile and said, "Relax, Tanu. Why are you so tensed?"
I got emotional, and I started to tear up. I said, "Rohit has tested positive. His condition is getting worse. He needs a ventilator now. But I can't find a bed anywhere. I don't know what to do."
Vivek said, "Don't worry, Tanu. I'm there for you. You want a bed with a ventilator, right? I'll arrange it for you. Don't cry for such small issues."
I looked up at Vivek and said, "Really? Thank you so much. I don't know what to say. I'm grateful to you."
Vivek got up from his chair and walked toward me. He leaned against his desk while facing me and said, "But, I'll need something for this favor I'm doing you."
I said, "Of course, anything. I know it must be difficult in these times to arrange for it. I'll pay you how much ever it costs."
Vivek laughed and said, "I'm not talking about money, Tanu."
I was confused. I replied, "I don't understand."
Vivek again gave a loud laugh and said, "Tell me something. We made a good pair. Why did you break up with me?"
I said, "Vivek, please. Not now. It's been 4 years. I'm married now. And I need to find a vacancy for Rohit at the earliest."
Vivek looked a little annoyed. He said, "Please, Tanu. Humor me. I promise you. I'll arrange a bed for Rohit right away. Now, why did you break up with me?"
I was done with this bullshit. Time was running out, so I blurted out. I said, "Vivek, we broke up because you couldn't keep it in your pants. You cheated on me."
Vivek and I dated for a year and a half when I caught him cheating on me with his work colleague. I broke up with him after confronting him. That was the last time I had seen him until that day in the hospital.
Vivek then said, "It was a mistake, Tanu. A one-time thing. It didn't even mean anything. I said I was sorry."
I retorted, "Sorry doesn't make it right, Vivek. You cheated on me. That was the end of it."
Vivek now gave a cunning smile and said, "Hmmm. Okay. Well, I still think we could have made it work and would have made a great pair. Nevertheless, I'm willing to put the trauma of you dumping me behind me and help you and your husband out."
I said, "Thank you so much, Vivek. What's the procedure now?"
Vivek laughed again and said, "Not so fast, Tanu. I'm willing to help you, as long as you are willing to do the thing you dumped me for. You have to cheat on your husband with me."
I was horrified and shocked. I said, "You fucking asshole...."
Vivek held his hand out to stop me and said, "Don't get emotional. This is the deal in front of you. Suck my dick off now, and Rohit will have a bed in this hospital with a ventilator by today evening. Or, you can always go out and find a bed otherwise. I'm not forcing you."
I was left speechless. I couldn't muster a word. My mind went into overdrive.
Vivek spoke again, "It's time for my rounds. So, you can sit here and think about the pros and cons. Suck my dick and save your husband. Or take up your chances elsewhere. The choice is completely yours. I'll be back in an hour. By then, if you're still here, I'll know you made the right choice."
Saying so, he walked out of the room. I sat there in silence. I didn't know what to do. Rohit needed a ventilator at the earliest. I had no other option in front of me. But at the same time, I was married to Rohit. I loved Rohit. I did not want to cheat on him with anyone, let alone Vivek.
But then I realized I had to do anything possible to save Rohit, even if it meant cheating on him. What worth would my chastity have if I didn't have a husband? So, I wiped away my tears and composed myself. For Rohit's life, I would have to do Vivek's bidding.
About 40 minutes later, Vivek walked back into his office. He looked amused. He said, "You're still here. Good. Marital life hasn't turned you soft. You've made the right choice."
I said, "This is just a one-time thing. And I want Rohit shifted to a bed with a ventilator first. Only then will I do as you ask."
Vivek again gave that cunning smile and said, "You're in no position to make demands, Tanu." He held out a folder and said, "These are the forms and documents for admitting Rohit into the hospital. Everything is sorted. It just needs my signature. I will sign them as soon as you finish sucking me off."
I said, "Vivek. Can you, for once in your fucking life, get serious? My husband is fighting for his every breath here."
He said, "I am serious. The faster you do what you're supposed to do. The faster his admission into the hospital will be done."
I said, "Fine. Come. Let's go. Let's get this over with." I started to walk out towards the door.
Vivek laughed and said, "Where are you going? I want you to suck me off in this office."
I was shocked. I turned back and said, "What the fuck!? Are you insane? This is a hospital."
Vivek said, "Exactly. My hospital. Remind me again, how did you find out I was cheating on you?"
I had gone to the hospital to surprise Vivek one day when I caught him with his colleague in a compromising position. That's when I realized he was not faithful and broke up with him the next day.
I said, "Fine. Have it your way." I turned around again to close the door. I was about to latch the door when Vivek said, "Don't latch it. Just close the door. That's enough."
I turned to face him in shock and said, "Hell no. What if someone comes in. Stop this childish behavior. I'm a married woman."
Vivek held the folder over the waste bin and said, "Do as I say or walk out that door. Your call!"
I sighed in disbelief. I had to do what he said.