Snapping my head to the entrance of the circular training room we were in, I saw the woman standing there with her hands on her hips and her scarlet eyes locked on my direction.

It was Caera.

She walked down the stairs, approaching me. I hadn't seen her since the other day. When I went to check-up on her later, she wasn't there either. And I wasn't sure where she had gone off to.

Her steps came to an halt right in front of me. Our eyes were locked ever since she stepped in. She had a face full of concern that I didn't feel good about. But before I could ask her, she moved.

Kneeling down in front of me she—ruffled my hair. I was in no mood to resist her, as I already started to feel comforted in her presence. Deciding to tease her, I spoke. "You know you're petting the wrong person here. You should do this to Regis, because he's the one who's been dreaming of getting pats from you."

"HEY! WHAT THE FUCK! DON'T TELL HER THAT, IT WAS ONE DREAM!" Regis shouted.

Caera ignored the wolf and gave a chuckle. Her eyes were still on mine as she spoke. "You don't like it?"

I looked thoughtful for a second. It was no more a surprise how much her presence affected me—in a good way. Sucking it up, I spoke. "I never said that." It was a soft mutter but she caught it.

She giggled in return and softly stroked my hair again. "Come now Grey. Cheer up."

My eyes opened wide in surprise at her words. How did she know—

But my thoughts were cut off by her next words.

"It's about the rainbow stone, isn't it?" She asked with a bitter smile as if she already knew the answer and the truth behind it.

"How?" Was all I could ask in return...still too surprised by how—and what she knew.

Was she spying on me? No—she wouldn't! I already know this and I should stop doubting her of all people. Pushing down that frivolous thought, I waited for Caera to answer.

Her hand was still stroking my hair as her finger tips ran across my head, massaging my scalps. Her touch was gentle and soft as it gave me a sense of soothe and sleep.

I wanted to slump down and shut my eyes tight...forgetting everything—every weighing thought that keeps me on edge all the time.

Then, her voice snapped me out of that sensual bliss.

"I-I'm sorry, but you must have imbued aether into the pendant when you were pouring it into the stone." She softly said while her other hand stroked the pendant in her neck.

My eyes lowered down to look at mine. I intuitively reached for it and took it in my palms; It brought me back memories—good memories that I had with Caera. One of the reasons I hadn't taken it off, I thought, before speaking. "I let the aether run through my body unconsciously, to keep the chance of success higher. It-It must've activated the relic pendant." I spoke in a low tone.

Caera kept her silence, no words came out of her. She must know what—how, I had felt while trying to bring back Sylvie. She must know that I wasn't in my usual self right now. So I wasn't surprised that she hesitated to say anything back.

But, she spoke then. "Sorry". Her fingers slowed down as she gently patted my head.

"It's okay. I failed, yet again." I replied with a sigh, my head still lowered in disappointment.

A few seconds passed in silence, before she lifted her free hand to my chin and gently pushed my head up to meet her gaze.

She looked at me with a smile, so radiant and so beautiful. It was equivalent to the warmth of the sun hitting your cold skin early morning. Just looking at it made me feel something from my body melt away instantly.