10

and if only you can hear my heart

🕊

the hospital is in a complete chaos.

the sounds of thousands footsteps echoes the in the whole hospital as people walk on the semi-snowy tiles near the entrance; the season is starting again.

the disastrous season- well at least for the doctors, known as the winter season of the year; it's the season where the hospital will be flooded not only by patients, but also sometimes with the heavy snow that's messing all over the place.

for most people, they think of winter as a blessed season. it will be freezing cold, where it would be perfect to spent quality time with families or lovers, maybe having warm chocolate drinks together.

the thing is, doctors never really have either warm chocolate drinks to enjoy with their families or lovers to cuddle with.. especially surgeons.

that explains why all of the staffs and doctors's holidays are pretty much- nonexistent.

"sunwoo, you're working with doctor bae and hyunjae, i want you to check on my post operation patients today," younghoon voice out, pushing the residents off to work.

"as for sara, you can help patients that needs simple sutures in the emergency room. doctor sohn will be there to assist if you need any hands as he's in charge of the ER today." he continues, looking at all of his residents infront of him. "got any questions, doctors ?"

younghoon nods in satisfaction as all of them moves to the according place that needs them, though he hears few of them grunting. it's not like he doesn't want to let those juniors of three years around in the operating room, he just used to feel like they need to learn more to be able to cut on their own.

he feels bad, then his mind clicks. it's time.

"doctors !" he shouts, making all of them turn back in sync. "chin up and work hard, it's gonna be a long day today you know- heavy snow, more accidents" he says calmly.

"the one who gives the best commitment today will be getting their first solo surgery tomorrow," he added.

hyunjae gaping his mouth as the other stares at younghoon in disbelief; a solo surgery ? hell that's every third year residency surgeon's dream. it can change their whole career, heck if they got lucky they can even get promoted as an attending.

"yes sir !" sara screams, walking away immediately to her venue with one mission; to impress the attendings with her skills. hyunjae on the other hand turns to other resident named sunwoo beside him.

"im gonna get that solo surgery," he says.

"dream on, we all know i'll be the one getting that solo surgery. i'll win this race before you even know it" sunwoo scoffs, before running off on his way.

as he wears the gown designed only for the emergency station doctors, an ambulance drive in; siren blasting loud. younghoon gasps, panic aroused in him as the sirens went off.

"change of plan! hyunjae, come with me instead"

they both run to the ambulance, helping the paramedics taking out the patients. "what do we have ?" younghoon lets out hurriedly.

"car versus trailer, one family. the father, unknown identity as he has crashed face, vitals unstable and bleeding out" the paramedics replied as he's taking out another patient. "the mother, stable vitals and right hand broken"

"doctor lee, take the mother and makesure she's stable until i got back to get a better look. nurse, book an OR for the father now. i will be going in to stop his bleeding. okay let's move people, move ! "

hyunjae pushes the woman's bed inside the hospital, walking in a fast pace. he then holds a syringe filled with liquid, shaking it few times before aiming the tip to her arm.

"w-where is my daughter?"

he stopped almost instantly, shifting his focus on her. "you have a daughter with you during the accident, madam ?"

"mirae ! mirae ! where are you ?" she starts to shout, holding her throat with her left hand. hyunjae quickly took her hand away as she's holding onto the neck a little too strong, creating bruises and blocking her airways as she gaps her mouth for air.

"madam please, i need you to stop or you'll hurt yourself more" he begs, holding her arms. "i want my daughter ! doctor please, please find my daughter." she yells as she coughs.

blood splattering everywhere on her patient gown as she's coughing. he pushes his pager, paging younghoon as he's trying to stabilise the woman.

"someone page doctor kim, now !"

he looks at the woman once again, still holding her hands as she cries out loud. her body's trembling even worse; her eyes travelling around the chaotic emergency floor, feeling a slump on her head before her body gives up on her.

hyunjae catches her back, slowly laying it down on the bed as his eyes roams around finding someone who could give a hand.

just as if he had predicted what would happen, the voices starts echoing through his head again. his hands starts shaking; he took a deep breath, fighting the two sides in him as his head starts to throb.

don't let them get you, or you'll regret it. you took an oath, to treat and never kill so do your job right.

why bother saving others, when you can't even save the one you loves ?

" rania !"

the nurse was caught off guard by the doctor's loud scream. she ran all the way to him, panting heavily when she arrives, "yes, doctor ?"

"run an MRI for this woman, she's stable for now but she blacks out due to shock. stay with her until doctor kim find his way here."

after earning a yes from rania, he looks back quickly at the unconscious woman.

you're right. i took an oath, which i will forever hold onto even if it's costing my life.

"i will find your daughter, madam. i'll find mirae. "