Chapter One: The Princess Above

His sand-green Uniform pressed, his name tag straightened. The man rides the old metal elevator up to the highest peak of Renoir household. The delivery isn't scheduled until tomorrow, but seeing the address, he added it to his load for today, wanting the excuse to get on this damn elevator, ride up to the top, and go through the same route he has the last three weeks. Ring, wait, sign, and leave. Not exciting enough to waste two minutes on a day already jam-packed with deliveries all over the Black Egret campus. Yet here he is.
The package is a small crimson envelope with "Parasoul Renoir" written on the front. Most deliveries to this address are for Princess Parasoul, but occasionally the names on the packages or letters change, Princess Parasoul being a frequent recipient.
He'd originally assumed she is always busy, but after sharing an elevator with another soldier, he had discovered that the princess lived alone, hiding away from the public days at a time, and-- according to the other soldier -- was a "mythic bitch."

"Really?" He said. "A Bitch?" It had crossed his mind. The mystery of not being able to work side by side with her has sent his imagination into overdrive- one day convinced she was alright, the next day envisioning one of those Viking like women, a crazed mob of utter madness.

"One mythic bitch. Beautiful face with a body that I jacked off for days." Hmm.. not a Viking woman.

The other Egret laughed. "Parasoul's the mystery of this kingdom, man. Ever since Queen Nancy, this little ducky never been the same. Now, she is always demanding us, making us work day and night. Can't blame her but Jesus- give us a break, woman." The other man continued, "a couple of years ago, she was in a state of grief. Major anger issues, and the commander had to take charge for two weeks. She did not yell or scream, but she acted like winger itself."
The elevator came to a shuddering stop and the man nodded at Ronin (That's your name in this book. I'm not putting Y/N every time-).

Her delivery habits corroborated the super's statements. The volume of packages she received was staggering, at least for a normal person who didn't run a retail operation out of her house. They were trequent enough that he made almost daily
deliveries to this ancient part of the household and had become accustomed to and unaffected by the dark elevator that barely made the climb to her door. And she had consistently, for
three weeks, refused to open her door; his first delivery had been a disastrous standoff that ended in her favour.

He hadn't given a second thought to the box, other than the fact that it was incredibly heary, more than seventy pounds -a large box from the Communications Department. He almost missed her door, starting to pass it and then
stopping short, checking the apartment number before knocking.
There was movement in the room, steps, a small commotion, and then a breathless voice.
"Yes?"

"Hello, I have a package for Princess Parasoul." He answered.

"Just leave it at the door, please"

He glanced down at the box. "'It's insured, ma'am.
Needs a signature."

"So scribble my name, Egret."

"I'm sorry, I can't do that. If you need some time to
finish, I can wait or come back later." The man stood outside, holding the box in his arms.

"I'm dressed, but I'm not opening the door. Leave the package and handle the signature however you want to." The princess replied, peeping through her peephole.
Her voice was strong but had a sweet tone and enough sass that his mind begged for a look at the princess in person, up close.. connected to it. He ground his teeth and looked at the
door. "Ma'am, it's insured for eleven hundred dollars. I can't leave it without a signature. Would you prefer for me to deliver it tomorrow?"

"I'm not going to open the door tomorrow either. Secondly, I assume you are one of the new recruits. Clearly, you don't know how things are done here." Parasoul sighed. The sound of her shoe tapping from behind the metal door.

He fought the urge to groan in frustration. He looked down at the heavy box.
"I'm not sure of your size, but the box is pretty heavy. You will probably need help carrying
it inside for you." The man suggested, hoping for the perfect answer.

"I appreciate your concern, but I will be fine. Thank you." An assumptive statement that indicated
her decision that he was going to leave the box. Decided before he had made up his mind. He sighed, torn, between leaving a thousand-dollar package in this mildewed hallway and taking it with him to try this whole song and dance tomorrow.
He left the package, doing his best imitation of a
girlish script on his note pad and sending a long look into the dark peephole, trying to communicate his displeasure with the whole situation. Shaking his head, he headed toward the elevator, hoping that he never had to deal with her again. Another Egret can do this job, that's for sure.

That was three weeks ago. Three weeks in which he has heard her voice through that door-lugged, toted, and swung countless packages with annoying regularity down that dim hallway. The princess seems to be isolating with a new sickness going around Canopy lately. He looks down at the manila
package, for Princess Parasoul. The sender is a mail-forwarding company from the major General, Adam Kapowski. That is another mystery. About 10 percent of her packages are mail-forwarded, most from the general with no return address.

Maybe she that's where she keeps on Schedule. Or maybe it's something forbidden. A forbidden rule  that no one haven't any relationship with one, even the princess follows this rule, unless she is betrothed. The elevator doors open with the squeal of metal on metal and he steps onto the dark red carpet that is the top floor. Stopping before her door, he leans forward and listens. The sounds coming from her room often vary. Sometimes music, sometimes voices, once a cry that sounded sexual in nature. Today it is quiet. He straightens
and raps on the door three times.

--------
Yes, this book will be mature. Containing violence, sexual content, topics of war, and language.

Don't know if I should add more or not- but there you go.