Act 2 ch 19

"I hate crossword puzzles, they make me feel stupid" Lorelai complains standing in line at the store.

"Then don't do them" Victoria tells her. "No, but if you don't do them you're not only stupid you're also a coward" Lorelai replies.

"Or you have better things to do" Rory says. "Think people will buy that?" Lorelai asks. "The people who ask daily if you do crossword puzzles, and then when you say no challenge you as to why? I think they'll buy it" Victoria laughs.

"Oh, hey, look new bag boy" she points out.

"Oh yeah, that's Marty. He's subbing for Dean while he's out of town" Rory says. "Wow, Marty does the jar twirl before putting the salsa in the bag. Impressive, very cocktail" Lorelai notices Marty flipping a jar.

"Marty's a nice guy" Rory tells her. "Marty's an ambitious snake in the grass" Lorelai says. "What?" Victoria asks her.

"The jar twirl, the double bagging, the have a nice day ma'am after every costumer. That guy's got an agenda" Lorelai explains.

"Which is?" Rory asks. "He's out to take Dean's job" Lorelai answers.

"I don't think so" Rory disagrees. "Oh, yes, he is. I'm telling you he wants that position, Dean better hurry up from his grandmother's house or he can kiss his job goodbye" Lorelai insists. "They're not going to fire Dean" Rory tells her.

"Really? Why not?" Lorelai asks.

"Well for starters someone stole Taylor's ladder last week, and Dean's the only one who can reach the top shelves" Rory answers. "Huh, interesting" Lorelai comments.

"What?" Victoria asks her. "Just as Marty aka Eve Harrington shows up trying to take Dean's job, Taylor's ladder mysteriously disappears suddenly making Dean invaluable no matter what fancy tricks Lon Chaney Jr over there pulls. Good thinking Dean, smart thinking my friend" Lorelai explains. "You need to start napping in the afternoons" Rory tells her.

"Hey, Taylor, pulling double duty today?" Lorelai asks when it's their turn to check out.

"Oh I like to fill in behind the register now and then. Keeps be in contact with the clientele, also it allows me to keep an eye on the take a penny pot, make sure people aren't pocketing those pennies for their own personal gain but are legitimately using them to make exact change" Taylor answers. "Oh, cool look. It's movie in the square night" Victoria says grabbing a flier.

"Yes, this weekend" Taylor replies. "But I'll be in New York this weekend" Victoria says. "Well you'll just have to decide what's more important to you, your town spirit or gallivanting in New York of all places" Taylor tells her.

"It's my boyfriend's birthday on Friday Taylor, I'm taking the bus there after school Thursday and won't be back until Sunday night" Victoria explains.

"Well then we know where your loyalty stands" Taylor scoffs.

"Well mom and I will be there" Rory tells Taylor. "Excellent. There you are" Taylor says handing Lorelai her change. "What's the movie this year?" Lorelai asks him.

"Oh, it's gonna be something really great" Taylor answers.

"Really? What?" Victoria asks him. "A real winner" Taylor says not wanting to answer the question.

"What's it called?" Lorelai asks. "Show up and be surprised" Taylor tells her. "Why don't you tell me what the movie is?" Lorelai asks laughing.

"No" Taylor says.

"Why not?" Victoria asks confused. "Because" Taylor responds.

"Because why? What is the-oh no" Lorelai realizes. "There is a line behind you" Taylor tells her. "You chose The Yearling again?" Lorelai asks.