Water flooded in from various leaks in the walls, ranging from small as a pinhead to the size of a baseball, all gathering on the floor which is already submerged in a few inches of water. Parts of the hull are bulging in, looking ready to give way any second and submerge everything (and everyone) in the cold, dark grip of the sea.

Mom ran down the hallways, holding a young Courtney's hand, while Dad stayed behind them, making sure she doesn't fall down or get lost.

"Just keep running down! The stairway is just a few hundred feet ahead!" Dad yelled, giving his wife a light push.

Courtney kept up besides her mother, one hand holding hers, and another on her backpack which she managed to save from the room. After a few minutes of winding through doors, flooded rooms, and winding hallways, a door labelled "Stairs" came into view, just about 200 feet down.

"I see the door mom!" Courtney pointed, and her mother nodded. 

The family ran towards the door, but suddenly, they heard a creaking sound from above them. They all look up just in time to see a massive steel beam falling from the ceiling. Dad jumped back while Mom leaped forward, pulling Courtney along, barely avoiding the heavy metal rod. But unfortunately, the beam jammed itself in the hallway, blocking it and too large to climb under or over, splitting the family.

Both parents desperately but futilely attempted to move or push it out of the way, but the beam wouldn't budge a millimeter. Meanwhile, the water on the floor is getting higher and higher by the second, splashing Courtney's knees and making her whimper in fear. Dad banged on the metal beam to get Mom's attention.

"Just go!" he yelled "Just get out of here and make sure our girl stays safe!"

Mom yelled back "But what about you?"

"I'll find another way out! Just go!" But they both knew chances of finding another escape in time was slim. Dad looked over the beam and gave a thumbs up to Courtney, trying his best to smile. "Go with mom okay? Daddy will join you ladies soon!"

With a heavy heart, Mom wiped her eyes and lead Courtney towards the door. "You heard him Courtney. Let's go." And both of them made their way up the ship's staircase. About three quarters of the way however, both of them heard a bang, and several seconds later, they could hear water slowly making its way up the staircase. Courtney's eyes were full of concern, while Mom's face was nothing but dread. She picked Courtney up and ran up the staircase and onto the main deck, where they can see boats being lowered into the water. Courtney tugged her mother's dress and pointed down the staircase. 

"Mom, but dad is still down there! We can't leave him!" Courtney said, looking Mom straight in the eyes.

It took all her effort to not cry, but Mom must remain strong. "He could've gotten out before us, ok? We need to find a boat quick!" The two ran around deck, looking for a boat that has yet to be filled to capacity, but found none. Mom stopped and looked around, only to hear a loud creaking noise, and looked up to see a massive ship funnel toppling over. Courtney screamed as her mother pulled her out of the way just in time, as the funnel smashed through the wood that they used to be standing on, and the force of the impact sent mother and daughter falling into the dark water.

About 30 seconds later, both Mom and Courtney bursted out of the waves, shivering and gasping for air. They can't see any lifeboats nearby. Eventually, they spotted a piece of wood that appears to be large and stable enough to ride on, and swam towards it. Mom pushed Courtney onto the wood, but didn't get on herself. 

"Mom! Come on! You need to get on!" Courtney cried, offering a hand to Mom. But mother simply shook her head. "I'm too heavy sweetheart. If I get on this wood will sink. I'll just hang on to the side okay?" Courtney nodded, but held on to her mother's arms as they drifted along the waves while the final remnants of the doomed cruise sank below the waves as the cruel sea finally claimed its bounty. Courtney could fairly make out the voices of survivors crying for help, none of them her father's. She wanted to go back and help people, but like Mom said, any more weight and this piece of driftwood will sink. With great sadness in her heart, they had to wait, and listen as the voices faded one by one.