Chapter 5: Do Not Underestimate Me

"Don't think lightly of the Sound." The bandaged boy said as a girl with long hair and boy with blue haired walked forward and stood by him.

"Yeah! By the end of the exam all three of us Oto nin will be..." The boy started to say but suddenly stopped when he felt something on the back of his neck. Between him and the bandaged genin stood Naruto with a kunai held up to both of their necks.

"I think that the two of you should calm down." The blond said in a monotonous tone. "Unless you want to start something..." Naruto finished, pushing the blades even closer to their necks.

The Sound shinobi were astonished, they had seen the blond genin leaning against the wall and away from the rest of the group before they attacked. None of them sensed him move until he appeared between them.

Before things could escalade, the doors to the room were pushed wide open and the instructors appeared. "Quiet down!" A Leaf nin with scars on his face exclaimed, causing many of the genin present to jolt in surprise, before he walked into the room followed by several chunin. "I do not want any trouble between Leaf and Sound." The tall man firmly stated as he glare down at Naruto and the Oto ninjas.

The blond looked straight back at the older shinobi's eyes, but never the less he pulled his blades back and moved away from the Sound genin.

"Now... My name is Morino Ibiki..." The man announced to the rest of the room. "And I will be your instructor for the first part of the Chunin Exam!" He declared before slamming the large stack of papers he had been carrying in the desk at the front of the room. "Take your seats so we may begin." The jounin finished.

Quietly, Naruto moved to his seat without saying anything to his teammates or to his former classmates. As he sat there, the spiky haired boy look to his side just as a very nervous Hinata took the seat next to her.

Every so often, the Hyuuga would steal a glance at the blond as she fidgeted with her fingers.

The Uzumaki could see that the kunoichi was a nervous wreck. Whether it was because of the Exam or because of his display with the Sound nin, the Sharingan user did not know, but still felt guilty about it. So then, for the first time in the last month, Naruto gave a small smile when he knew she was looking, hopping it someone reassure the young girl.

Her face got several shades redder, but nevertheless the Hyuuga seemed calmer afterwards.

A couple of hours later, the members of Team Seven were waiting for the second part of the Exam to start. "At least that tedious first part is done with..." Naruto thought. "That test's intentions could not have been clearer." He reasoned as his hand checked that all his gear was ready for the next phase. "With all the chunin in the room and so much emphasis on cheating, it was obvious what they wanted." The Jinchuuriki reasoned.

Even though the Uzumaki had deduced the objective of the written test, he had decided to temp his fate and prove his theory.

A light chuckle escaped the blond. "I kind of wish I could see that jounin's face when he finds my test." He thought as his mind drifted to the piece of paper back in the room in which he had only written his name and left everything else blank.

Hearing his teammate's quiet laugh, Sakura glanced at Naruto nervously. She had been beyond shock at how much he had changed in such a short time and the fact that he had barely said anything to her or to Sasuke made her even more worried.

Feeling eyes on him, the Sharingan user glanced at his side once again, this time finding his pink haired teammate observing him.

The Haruno waited a couple of seconds as she gazed at the blonde's sapphire eyes. The twinkle in those eyes that the spiky haired boy had always directed at her was completely missing. Instead, they seemed passive, perhaps even dull, as if he could not care any less about what she had to say.