Chapter Forty One

Start from the beginning

She was a very pretty woman, definitely the sort I felt would be attractive to straight men. Large eyes, large lips, a curviness to her that wasn't too gym centric and felt more natural, long hair that tumbled over her small, rounded shoulders and even manged to hide under the table, and good fashion sense with a baby pink shirt, tight around the middle and top, with some sort of crimping at the sleeves.

I went a little overboard examining her by accident, I'm not sure why, but I was drawn back out of my head when I felt a certain alert floating in the air, that others must have felt too, becoming uneasy beside me, and one glance back toward Lowell saw him staring at me, a warning glare in his eyes.

A heat unfurled in me, quickly enough that I immediately looked away when somehow I knew that wasn't the right thing to do.

If anything the gaze looked rather jealous, and in a normal situation I would have told him off for it, and reassured him that I was absolutely homosexual, and at this point, so put off of touch from anyone else, that I was unable to think of touching anyone else even if I had wanted to.

But I understood now why he was avoiding looking at me, and unfortunately the lack of any kind of reply to warning look landed me with a sharp, heavy gaze watching me, making me squirm in my seat. I really wished he would look away, but couldn't stand him looking away either. What a terrible way for nature to force two people together.

Bazile was laughing under his breath and I bristled at his bad sense of humour.

"Brother that's not much of a greeting is it? Aleena been waiting for you for a while now and dad's done you both a favour."

Lowell scoffed. "I doubt she wanted to meet me under these circumstances either."

And to his credit, Aleena did look uncomfortable, something told me this situation was the fault of the man to his right more than the woman to his left. Although she didn't seem unhappy, and did seem to be leaning closer to him, trying to make some sort of contact with her wrist on the table.

Irritation flicked into the air like a whip and, startled, my eyes landed back on Lowell. I hadn't realised my mind wandered again and settled on her. And despite the ridiculousness of the situation I frowned and looked away from her, even if the uneven buzzing in the atmosphere never fully settled.

"Don't worry, you'll get to know each other." Griffith spoke.

"I have no interest in getting to know her." Lowell bit out, then glanced at her. "No offense."

She nodded quickly, submissively. "It's alright." She replied in a quiet voice, although she didn't look any bit less enthused, and her wrist was still awfully close to his, inching closer, trying to find a natural way to meet.

Griffith smiled. "Son, I don't think you understand."

"No, maybe that's because you didn't try to explain any of this shit."

The corner of his mouth twitched, not something smiling, something irritable.

"I feel," He said, announcing it somewhat across the table, though that may have been a side effect of having that kind of booming voice, he placed a hand lightly on his chest. "I have done you an injustice."

Lowell scrunched up his brows and looked at him slowly, like he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Now, I have decided to rectify it, by taking care of you."

"Kidnapping me."

"Well, would a rabid wolf ever willingly follow you home?" He replied carelessly.

"It would if you lured it with an open wound." Lowell bit back.