"I felt like doing charity, anyway."

For a fraction of a second, his eyes widen in surprise at me throwing his words back in his face.

He opens his mouth, about to respond, when we're interrupted.

"Ares! I heard what happened last night, are you okay?" Delilah asks, rushing over towards us.

I take a step back when she goes to stand near him and bombards him with questions about last night.

I watch them for a few seconds.

I was there last night. It was me, yet, that fact disappears as if it never happened.

Turning around, I walk away with a heavy heart and take a seat on a bench, while we're all waiting for the buses to be loaded and ready.

"How are you feeling?"

My head snaps up, and I'm surprised to meet Kyle's eyes. He's looking down at me with a soft smile, and so is Ryan. "It was a rough night for everyone," Ryan says.

"I'm okay," I tell them, "were there any more issues last night?"

Kyle shakes his head and takes a seat beside me. "No, I stayed with him last night and he slept through it. This morning we informed him of everything, but he seemed to vaguely remember everything."

"He'll be alright," Ryan grins, "still a pain in the ass, so there's no harm done."

I like his light-hearted attitude.

My heart is still loyal to Icarus, but when Nick and Caleb aren't bickering with Dopamine, I've got to say that they're good company.

I've never had anything against them, but I stayed quiet. Now, I'm enjoying some small talk with the band that my friends hate.

Looking up, I see Caleb laying down on a bench with his eyes closed. Nick and Vi are talking to each other animatedly, so it's not like they're paying any attention.

Deep down I know they wouldn't really have any trouble with me hanging out with these guys, which I don't think will occur often.

The following night, we're standing on stage in Manchester, when the next song comes on.

"This is Car Rides, hope you enjoy it."

The cheers are confirmation that they've been waiting for this song. It's the song Caleb wrote on the song and where he opens up, and lets himself be vulnerable and honest with his feelings.

"Blond whirlwinds, long car rides.
Breaths of fresh air and laughter rang around us.
Your cherry lips curled into a smile
When you looked at me
During those car rides, you were happier
Not even the sunset could compare
Because you were golden
My life was golden. Until you disappeared.

Took those textbooks with you.
The ones I teased you about
That's all I ever did.
Until all I could do was remember
The way your eyes crinkled during those car rides
And then I was alone
All alone in the night
Because you took those sunsets with you."

The crowd sings along word for word, and when I look back to grin at Caleb, my smile falters a bit when I see his tired and pale complexion.

The way the corner of his lips are struggling to go upward, but he still manages to deliver a believable smile.

I can see the sadness right through it.

When we were getting ready for the show, I noticed his twitchiness and the spots on his skin. The sweat gathered everywhere and his tired-looking eyes.

I'm going to have a talk with him later about the weed he's been smoking like crazy. Maybe, he's been on something else, too.

My heart drops at the thought.

The earpiece announces the next track and as the countdown ends, the music starts playing.

Looking over my shoulder at Violet, we both smile at each other as our song Life comes through the speakers.

The song we wrote together.

I stretch out my hand, inviting her with me further down the stage and the crowd goes wild as she joins me, instead of staying back with the band.

The past few songs we've played this song for the crowd, and every time, she joins me here and we both go wild at the song.

It's not a soft song, it has more of an indie vibe to it.

Our band has been described as a rock band, but many people argue with that and just call it pop music.

"We were playing the cards
Underneath the tree
Laughter rang in the air, which I feel today.
It feels like we are in a movie whenever I'm with you
Because there's always trouble
It always follows us
And if you need me, I will always be there
We do this for life
No shortcut to this
It's the ride or die, and I know you're in it
Through the gates of hell and back
We still play the cards and face trouble every day
Cracking jokes and late-night talks
During those golden hours
Warm tears streaming down our faces as we gaze at the stars
Saying, I love you because this is nice."

All Violet and I do as dance – or as much as she can dance seen as she's playing the guitar. We sing together on the mic and that feeling mixed with the crowd screaming the lyrics has my eyes burning with tears.

After the show, I approach Caleb who's walking towards the exit.

"Hey," I breathe once caught up to him. "Are you okay?"

"Better than ever," he smiles, but it's a fake one, filled with sadness. Like usual, lately.

"I know you haven't been feeling well," I frown and take his hand to softly squeeze it, "I'm here for you if you want to talk, okay?"

He wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer to him, his lips pressing a soft kiss on my temple.

"I know that, Ella. Thank you, but now I want to smoke."

"Has it been bringing you the satisfaction you seek?" I ask quietly, but he merely shrugs.

"Close enough."

"Caleb..." I trail off, "how about we sing a song together on the next show? Do a cover or something, so the crowd can dream about your vocal skills, too."

That manages to crack a small smile out of him, and to my luck, he nods. "Sounds good, let Malcolm know on time before he loses his shit."

"Noted," I grin.

This is a filler chapter.

I promise the good stuff is coming.

Trust me.

Thank you so much for reading, hope you enjoyed this chapter.

I love you.