*Kiss Me Like You Did* IGHS Sequel {06} Slash

Start from the beginning

He’d never once called me Jakey before, but I found I liked it.

I shrugged. ‘I just don’t have much of an appetite anymore,’ I answered honestly. I didn’t mention that the very thought of food makes me nauseous since he left. That it wasn’t just my appetite that had changed; that I could barely get out of bed most days.

So maybe my answer wasn’t that honest after all. He saw right through me though, as he always does.

‘And?’ he pressed. ‘What else? You’re paler too. You look like a fucking cancer patient or something.’

I pursed my lips, not wanting to tell him the truth, not wanting him to think I blamed him for everything when I didn’t. He took that the wrong way though.

‘Jesus,’ he whispered, his hand going to his mouth. ‘You have cancer?’

‘No!’ I exclaimed, shaking my head. ‘No, god no. Nothing like that. I just... I dunno. I have, um, depression, I guess. That’s what they’re saying anyway,’ I mumbled, avoiding his gaze. ‘ “Severe clinical depression”.’

‘Are you on meds?’ Taylor asked quietly.

I shook my head. ‘Refused them.’

‘I am.’

I looked up, frowning. ‘You are what?’ I asked, glad that the focus was moving off me and back onto him.

‘On meds. For my depression.’

‘You have depression too?’ I asked, not sure how to react. I guess I was surprised.

‘Among other things,’ he said lightly, tracing patterns onto his jeans and trying to appear nonchalant.

‘Other things like what?’ I pressed.

‘Just some stress disorders,’ he said dismissively, looking up and smiling broadly at me. ‘I have medication for all of them. And tranquilizers for when I freak out and lose my mind like I did last night.’

‘And Ryan’s qualified to administer them?’ I asked, trying desperately to keep my voice neutral.

‘My parents had to take a course when I first got sick. Then when I get accepted here and had to move, Ryan took the same course. I mean, I’m not gonna hire some nurse to follow me around. I’m weird enough as it is.’

‘Yay, it must suck being so short,’ I joked, trying to lighten the mood, and I got a genuine laugh from him.

‘Very clever, dickhead,’ he said, nudging me again. He’d have to stop doing that. I was becoming electrified every time he touched me.

‘So...’ I said. ‘What happened?’

Taylor sighed. ‘You’re not gonna drop this til I tell you the whole story, are you?’

‘If I do, Kelly will take up the mantle. And you don’t want that.’

‘Are you gonna tell her?’

I shrugged. ‘I won’t if you don’t want me to. You know that.’

Taylor looked at the ground. ‘No. It’s okay, you can tell her. Just, don’t tell anyone else.’

‘Of course not,’ I said gently, not able to stop myself reaching out and putting my hand over his reassuringly.

Taylor’s POV

I bit my lip as Jake’s bony, dry hand landed on mine, wanting to twine my fingers through his. I knew I couldn’t though. I had Ryan. And I couldn’t risk losing Jake again anyway...