Chapter 39: Confession

Start from the beginning

"Alone. In exchange for you." Her smile slowly stretches higher up.

My breath caught in my throat as I look around at the armed men in the room.

"Don't worry, dear. Things will work out the way they should." She spoke

She signals one of the men behind me, next thing I know I feel my hands being bound behind my back and my feet tied to the legs of the chair

"Again, precautions dear. Nothing to worry your pretty little head about." She said

"What are you planning to do to him?" I ask

"Again, with concern and good heart feelings. I shall worry for thou but not myself attitude." She waves her hand in midair as she speaks with a roll of her eyes before they look back down at me with a hard gaze.

"You honestly think that boy will turn his back on his family for you? You think love will truly conquer all?" She leans close to my chair, eyes penetrating mine, searching.

"Have you met Jackie Hart?" Her voice drops an octave. I try to look anywhere else but her, her face contouring into a slow grin "You have."

"Did you know she visited him often while he was away? What did you think they do on those visits, talked?" Her eyes spark as she looks at me.

My eyes scan hers, and we both remain silent. A tight lips smile appears on her face, satisfy with what she sees, she stands erect. "You poor thing." 

A crunch of gravel on the pavement could be heard as a vehicle slowly pull to a stop outside.

She looks down at her watch "Ah right on time."

She nods to one of her men, he nods back before he and another man file out of the room.

My heart thumb in my chest, and my eyes strain toward the doorway.

For what feels like an eternity, the door slowly pushes open.

A big body fills the doorway, and the light behind him cast a dark shadow over his frame. I squint my eyes to adjust.

His eyes immediately land on me. My heart slammed in my chest painfully at the sight of him.

His eyes roam my face then slide down to my bound hands and feet.

"Griffin! How nice of you to join us!" My aunt exclaims

His eyes remain on me with a taut expression before they slide to my aunt.

"Come in! Don't be shy" she said

Griffin steps into the room with the two previous men right behind him. One of them begin pushing Griffin toward a chair that had been placed a few feet away facing me.

Griffin sits down. Eyes remain on me.

"I'm here. Let her go." Came his tight voice, his jaw clenches as he speaks.

My aunt came to stand before us

"Not so fast, this is a nice reunion. Don't you think so? When can we have a special occasion like this again?!" She said

One of the men goes behind Griffin and begins tying his hands and feet.

His eyes slide to my aunt.

"I'm here. She's useless." Griffin said

My aunt steps closer and comes to stand behind me, pinching my cheeks between her two fingers.

"How can you say that about our poor Elena? After all, she had been through?!" She adds dramatic flair to her tone.

"She has nothing to do with this. Both you and I know this. You want to hurt my family? Elena means nothing to us; you're only hurting your own family."

His eyes remain on my aunt, refusing to look at me.

My aunt remains silent, I can't see her expression behind me, but her grips begin to loosen slightly.

She finally let go of my cheeks and began walking away

"Very well, I suppose she is useless."

Griffin's eyes briefly met mine before they return to my aunt quickly and remain steady.

She walks toward one of the men, observing his belt before grabbing one of the knives from it. She runs her finger over the smooth surface.

Her eyes slide to Griffin with a smile.

"Are you truly alone, Griffin? Or are you hiding backup?"

"I'm alone."

Silence fills the room.

My aunt let out a wicked cackle. She swipes her finger to the edge of her eyes.

"I don't know if you're brave or stupid." She comments when she finally calms down.

My aunt observes the knife closer.

"I was just talking to Elena about Jackie Hart." Her eyes glide up slowly toward Griffin.

"What about Jackie" he responds in a low monotone voice.

"How's Henry Godson? Still breathing?" My aunt asks instead

"My grandfather is doing well."

"Hm. Shame. Had you introduced Elena to him?"

Pause.

"No."

"I'm assuming Jackie met Henry?"

I look at him, he held my aunt's steady gaze.

A small measure of unease crawled across my skin.

"Yes." He answers

Soft chuckles escape from her lips.

She takes a few steps closer to him until she stands almost right next to him.

"Sometimes you remind me so much of Gerald." She said in a low tone, she lifts the knife and begin pressing the flat part of the blade against his left cheek, slowly sliding it down the path of his neck. Griffin tilts his head away; eyes remain on her.

"You look about the same age when Gerold and I first met." She continues

I stiffen as her gaze connects with mine and held.

"I must confess, you are a very handsome boy. You must be driving all the girls crazy with your looks."

She moves to stand behind him, blade still pressing against his neck. She leans down closer until her lips are close to his ear, eyes on me.

"Look at her. You just couldn't help yourself, could you? Holding to the Godson's legacy of arrogance."

Griffin looks at me, I could see the muscle in his jaw ticks, but his eyes. His eyes, shine with something. Regret? Pain?

I blink, and just as quickly they return to his cold controlled stare toward her.

"My father's blood runs deep in my veins. We are arrogant. We take what we want. Elena was something I wanted. And I took it. I'm done now. She means nothing to me." His tone is devoid of emotions as he looks at me.

A sense of numbness invades its way into my body, seeping in through my pores and settling in my muscles, and my bound hands tremble behind my back.

"I'm only here to right the wrong that had been done to you, Anneta." He said

His throat bobbed and something looms in the air. I brace myself for his next words.

"Jackie and I are getting engaged."