Chapter 3: Royal Regrets and Unexpected Reuniond

It had been building up for years after the prince turned general had disappeared and was announced to be missing in action and presumed dead to the Royal Pawberry family. At first they had just been shocked that someone wanted them dead, but then had a festival that lasted an entire week to celebrate the war's end. Only for the celebration to end on July 8th, also known to them as The Day of The Broken Sea Moon as when Avocato was born, there was a rare occasion. Both of Ventrexia's moons were full and one had a blue hue to it. The Lone Ocean Moon was the name amongst the Ventrexian public. It was a once in a lifetime experience. A true sight to behold. The Pawberry's despised it as it was the 21st anniversary of the unwanted child's birth. They hated how much he had begged for attention from them with his "ideas" to stop the war, and his little gadgets. Even after they ripped his claws out one by one and threw him in the dungeon to bleed out at the age of 6 years old, the little shit still managed to get out and try to win their affection. He got accepted at the most selective military academies with just raw talent and knowledge at 6 years old? They refused to acknowledge him.

Had straight A's? Not a glance.

Second in his class? You think that would get their attention, but no.

Had his first date with a girl he likes? Same as the last one.

He's graduating and was given the title of general? It would be too much work to attend or acknowledge his existence.

He's going to propose to the commoner? Nope! Bye bye. Get out!

He... He changed his name? Not a problem! He's getting married and still wants their support?... Better not attend! There's a coronation going on after all! His wife's pregnant and going into labor? Wont bother sending help. Too busy with the Royal Wedding. He... He want's them to meet his kitten?... Nope! Too busy on the honeymoon! He stopped trying to contact his first family? A joyous occasion! Oh, they heard from the future oracle that he and his wife are expecting a second kitten? Couldn't be bothered to react.

He... lost his wife when she gave birth to their second kitten?.... Nah, they don't care about him to send out our condolences.

Wait- His... first kitten has cancer? Again don't care about how his pathetic little family is doing.

The kitten passed away?... Well that was a little shocking, but they didn't bat an eye. They almost felt something there.

He... He and the kitten have disappeared?... He's most likely dead?! Good riddance! A shame about the kitten though. What were they thinking? They didn't care about his family! They were alive, thanks to their anonymous savior's letter! That pawmenship looks a bit familiar though.

It was a few years later that King Purrprika realized that he was staring at the throne room doors, that he was waiting to see that kindhearted, forest ocean colored Ventrexian he had finally accepted as his brother walk in and light up the room with an excited smile. He missed Avocato. He missed his baby brother. But there was nothing he could do, right? Avocato was dead. His nephews were dead as well as his sister in law. Right? He barely knew his extended family and his baby brother, so he didn't know how to grieve for them. Over the next years, he found himself grieving for what could have been and asking himself constant "What if's."

"What if I had spent time with him when we were young?"

"What if I had asked him to show me those gadgets?"

"What if I helped him present that petition to stop the war?"

"What if I had listened to him?"

"What if I comforted him?"

"What if I had attended his wedding?"

"What if I had gone to his graduation ceremony?"

"What if I met my nephews when I had the chance? Which parent did they resemble more?"